(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Teacher/California Legislator
- California State Assemblymember (1996-2000, 2008-present)
- California State Senator (2000-2008)
- Contra Costa County Supervisor (1980-1996)
- Antioch City Council (1978-1980)
- Teacher, Mt. Diablo Unified School District (1973-1980)
- University of California, Berkeley B.A. in History (1971), M.A. in Education (1977)
- Make sure every neighborhood school has the resources required to provide every student a top-quality education in a safe and healthy environment.
- Support and promote a competitive 21st Century school environment, with our students having multiple pathways to success.
- Ensure our children have a healthy start, including access to good food, adequate health care, and quality physical education.
- Occupation: Retired School Superintendent
- Superintendent, Franklin-McKinley School District
- 1991-1994 Superintendent, Alum Rock Union School District
- 1989-1991 Deputy Superintendent, Pajaro Valley Unified School District
- Principal, Imperial Beach Elementary School, South Bay Union SD
- 1974-1979 Bilingual Teacher, Bayside Elementary School, South Bay USD
- MA, Education, Early Childhood Education Emphasis from San Diego State University
- Stop the budget cuts to our education system.
- Increase equitable funding for our schools and ensure accountability across the board.
- I will also work to reduce class sizes, improve student achievement, and reduce our state's dropout rate.
- Occupation: Educator/Investor/Businessowner
- Educator over 30 yrs: high school English, history, science, math, traffic & safety & music; in national award winning district, most improved scores
- WRITE-IN Diane LENNING for Supt! President, Concord Law School Federalist Society 3L
- MEDAL of FREEDOM AWARD 2004 by United State Senate
- M.A. Secondary Education/History; CSULB... B.A. Cal-Poly SLO, Administration, Resource/SE, Eng Language Learner Certified: CSUF
- High School Segment Director GGUSD, National Eli Broad award winning district most improved student scores in nation!
- Former Chair national Republican Educators Caucus, NEA
- Teach Constitution, founding documents, accuracy in text books, critical thinking skills, highly qualified teachers
- VOCATIONAL Education for student skills to get a JOB after high school. Reduce the "drop-out" rate! Keep kids in safe schools for a better future!
- All student proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English. Government exam or course requirement.
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidate Statements in the Official Voter Information Guide
- As the state's chief public schools official, provides education policy and direction to local school districts.
- Directs all functions of the Department of Education and executes policies set by the State Board of Education.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of governing boards of the state's higher education system.
- Works with the educational community to improve academic performance.
- Easy Voter Guide
- League of Women Voters of California Education Fund
- See a video of the candidates' discussion on education at the 2010 EdSource Forum
Campaign Finance Data
Secretary of State
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.