(Vote for 1)
Click on a candidate name for more information.
- Party: Democrat
- Occupation: Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Former State Assemblywoman - elected four consecutive terms
- Chaired the Assembly Education Committee
- Twice named "Outstanding Legislator of the Year" by the California School Boards Association
- Former teacher and corporate manager
- M.A. - UC Santa Barbara, B.A. UC Davis
- Endorsed by the Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Sacramento Bee, San Jose Mercury News, La Opinion & almost every major newspaper in CA.
Gloria Matta Tuchman
- School Accountability - We need to implement a system to hold all schools accountable to our new statewide standards.
- Smaller Classes & High Quality Teachers - Class size reduction is working and should be expanded. We need to increase teacher training and support.
- School Funding - We need to raise school funding up to the national average in order to give our kids the schools they deserve.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Parent/School Teacher
- School Board Member (1985-1994), Elected Board President twice
- Co-Author and Co-Chair of Proposition 227: English for the Children
- Government Relations Chair, California School Boards Association
- Founder, Campaign for California's Kids
- Former Advisor to the U.S. Secretary of Education
- Earned "Teacher of the Year" honors at Taft Elementary
- Support statewide student testing and establish a "School Report Card"
- Focus on basic skills such as phonics-based reading and traditional math
- Immediately implement Proposition 227: English for the Children
Basic candidate data supplied by the County elections official. Any additional information supplied by the candidate.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
From the Sec'y. of State
Free Air Time for Candidates from the California Channel
League of Women Voters
Cal. Voter Foundation - Top contributors
News and Analysis
San Francisco Chronicle
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.