This information is provided by the candidate
As Our Representative, Sam Has...
- Obtained more than $65 million in defense conversion funds to start a new California State University on the Fort Ord site.
- Initiated tax incentives that preserve farmland for farming, not urban sprawl.
- Brought millions of dollars to the district for local agriculture projects, including support for organic farming and research into alternatives to methyl bromide.
- Launched initiatives to save essential fish habitat and improve support for national marine sanctuaries.
- Authored the original Oceans Act, a version of which passed Congress and was signed into law in 2000.
- Won an executive order giving permanent Wilderness status to the offshore rocks and islands along the entire California coast.
- Helped maintain the Naval Postgraduate School and Defense Language Institute as premier educational institutions
- Helped secure a Defense Department finance center that employs more than a hundred federal workers; a new University of California science research center; a new housing project for the homeless; a veterans' clinic; a business-industrial airport; two new public golf courses; 8,000 acres of new federal parkland, and a one-stop job training and employment center.
- Helped pass a major campaign finance reform bill.
- Forced the House of Representatives to initiate its own recycling program.
- Fought to designate California's Route 1 as an "All American Road" - one of only six in the nation.
- Worked to add 7,960 acres to Pinnacles National Monument.
- Stopped the Navy from conducting practice bombing runs over the Big Sur coast.
- Secured the funding for the National Marine Fisheries Service lab in Santa Cruz.
- Obtained funding for construction of Hartnell's new regional health occupations training center.
|| Feedback to Candidate
|| This Contest
November 2010 Home (Ballot Lookup)
|| About Smart Voter
The League of Women Voters does not support or oppose any candidate or political party.
Created from information supplied by the candidate: October 13, 2010 17:34
Smart Voter <http://www.smartvoter.org/>
League of Women Voters of California Education Fund http://ca.lwv.org