Runoff Election 11/4/2008
(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Diane Ritchie, Esq.
- Occupation: Attorney/Mediator, Santa Clara County
- I am an experienced trial attorney and mediator with a demonstrated history of handling difficult cases for 27 years.
- As a Deputy District Attorney, I prosecuted criminals including child molesters in Santa Clara County.
- I have handled more than a thousand cases including hundreds of bench and jury trials and served as temporary judge in Superior Court.
- My broad experience with both civil and criminal law make me uniquely qualified to be a Superior Court judge.
- I have represented clients in many areas of law from employment law and discrimination, to family law, real estate, and personal injury,
- I have taught law at high technology companies, universities, and law schools. As a mediator, I successfully help people resolve legal disputes.
- Help people resolve disputes quickly.
- Treat people fairly and with respect. Make sure people understand the law that applies to their case.
- Protect our community.
- Occupation: Deputy District Attorney
- A veteran homicide prosecutor with more than 30 years experience, Lane Liroff believes that community safety is a top priority.
- Successfully prosecuted complex murder cases involving hate crimes and against sexual predators, gang members, witness and child killers.
- Law school professor for 18 years and adjunct faculty at SJSU teaching law enforcement officers for 15 years
- Former staff attorney for Attorney General Janet Reno, consulting on the prosecution of federal murder cases.
- Named Outstanding Prosecutor for the Santa Clara County District Attorney
- Contributing author for 7 books on ethics, criminal law, trial procedures and evidence
Jesús "Jess" Valencia
- Follow the law and reach a fair result in every case
- Treat every litigant, attorney and juror with dignity and respect
- Serve and protect the citizens of Santa Clara County
- Occupation: Superior Court Commissioner
- Judicial Experience (January 2007 to present)
- Judge Pro Tem Experience (6 yrs.)
- Civil & Criminal Law Experience (20 yrs.)
- City of San Jose Elections Commission (3.5 yrs)
- Santa Clara Law School Bd. of Visitors (12 yrs)
- SCU Owens Lawyer of the Year Award (2001)
Jay Steven Boyarsky
- Bring fresh ideas & approaches to the juvenile justice system.
- Work with community groups to address juvenile crime & gang violence.
- Work with community groups to improve access to the courts.
- Occupation: Deputy District Attorney
- Deputy District Attorney for 14 years--including Special Assignment to Hate Crimes; and Supervisor of North County Division for over five years
- Wrote Maricela's Law to protect the community from sexual predators
- Dedicated hundreds of hours to assisting public safety organizations, protecting crime victims, and working toward a hate-free community
- Extensive courtroom and trial work in criminal law and civil litigation experience
- Federal Clerkship with the late Honorable William A. Ingram
- Graduated from prestigious and nationally renowned UC Berkeley's Boalt Hall School of Law
- Commitment to Justice, Fairness and Integrity
- Appropriate judicial temperament so that everyone in my courtroom is treated with respect and dignity
- Apply my diverse life experience and extensive qualifications to reach a fair result in each case
- Occupation: County of Santa Clara Career Prosecutor
- Environmentalist & member of The Nature Conservancy and The Sierra Club
- Vice-Chair, Citizen Advisory Panel for the Dumbarton Rail Corridor Project (environmental impact report)
- All parties will be treated equally and fairly
- Being independant from influences from other people and special interest groups
- Cut down on case continuances and limit the time lawyers are allowed to argue
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidates Answer Questions|
The Leagues of Women Voters of Santa Clara County has asked
all candidates for this office to respond to
3 questions on the issues
- The State Bar of California
News and Analysis
- Monday, May 12, 7-8pm, Mountain View City Council Chambers
presented by the Leagues of Women Voters of Los Altos/Mountain View & Palo Alto
- Video of the above forum
- Saturday, May 17, 9:30-11:30am
Hear 5 Judge Candidates
Mary Campbell Room at the
Campbell Community Center on corner of
Campbell Ave. & Winchester Ave.
conducted by the League of Women Voters
San Jose Mercury News
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.