(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Treasurer of California, 1999 - Present
- Fought for balanced budgets and fully funded schools and cracked down on corporate fraud to protect the pensions and life savings of families
- Invested state funds to create jobs and clean up the environment
- Created his own business, met a payroll, and built environmentally sustainable communities. Congress for the New Urbanism's Lifetime Achievement Award
- Former Chair, California Democratic Party
- Graduate, Harvard University and Coro Foundation Fellow
- Committed husband and father to three daughters
- I will balance the budget and fully fund California's schools, rolling back tax cuts to corporations and couples earning over $500,000
- I will fight air pollution and global warming by making California the world leader for renewable energy and clean vehicles.
- I will lead California toward quality, affordable healthcare for all.
- Occupation: Controller of the State of California
- Elected Member, Democratic National Committee
- Senior Vice President, eBay
- Office of Economic Development, City of SanJose
- Teacher, Stanford Business School
- Department of Energy, Carter Administration
- Vice Chair, California Democratic Party
- Public education is my number-one priority. I'm running for Governor to reinvent public education.
- I also care passionately about the environment, and have a plan to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and fully complying with the Kyoto Treaty.
- On health care, we need to expand coverage through a system of increased state coverage and employer mandates.
- Occupation: Executive Director
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, summa cum laude, in Economics at Adelphi University
- Doctoral Program in Ecomonics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Post-graduate work at the University of Chicago as a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow
- Women's History Celebration Award 2006 for Social Consciousness from Contra Costa College and the American Association of University Women
- California State Honoree 2005 Ella Hutch Award for Outstanding Leadership and Community Service issued by Black Women Organized for Political Action
- Woman of the Year 2001 issued by the California State Legislature
Joe "old joe" Brouillette
- Improving California's public education system so that all children have an opportunity to achieve at high levels
- Designing a quality and affordable healthcare system for all Californians
- Removing race and class bias from California's criminal justice system
- Occupation: High School Teacher
- 2 Masters degrees, one in education, from California State University - Chico
- Masters in economics, Univ of Illinois
- Taught in the public school system for 48 years.
- Taught U.S. history, government, Calif. history and gov't, sociology, health,science, comparative religions y mucho mas.
Michael S. Strimling
- Overpopulation is a major problem in Calif. and I have a plan to educate California, the usa and the world about the dangers of overpopulation.
- Students need more classes in local, state, federal government and elections.
- Each state should have the right to determine its optimum population
- Occupation: Attorney, former Peace Corps Legal Advisor to two Provinces
- UC BERKELEY Law Degree Boalt Hall, Uof Chicago (Dean's Honor List), U.C. SANTA CRUZ (B.A. honors) only candidate from UC; LA public schools
- PROGRESSIVE.Judge Pro Tem Arbitrator Mediator, complex litigation for individuals, public agencies, companies, homeowner associations & union members.
- STAFF ATTORNEY FOR APPELLATE & TRIAL COURTS for 5 Years, handling broad variety of civil and criminal matters.
- U.S.PEACE CORPS Legal Advisor;State Bar Committee on Administration of Justice; San Francisco and Alameda Bar commendations for pro bono work for poor
- LAW PRACTICE in Superor Courts in 11 California Counties, Federal Courts, US Court of Claims in Washington DC, Courts of Appeal
- A TRAINED LAWYER who knows class actions, environmental, condemnation, construction, injury, financial, family, probate, civil rights laws
Frank A. Macaluso, Jr.
- THAT CORPORATIONS PAY TAX at true value of property, not low rates of 30 years ago under Prop 13, to reduce other taxes & pay for health and schools
- SCHOOLS NOT JAILS: educate, train for jobs, rehabilitate, pardon the repentant, a moratorium on expensive new prisons and biased capital punishment
- UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE, EDUCATION, WORKERS RIGHTS. AGAINST THE WAR AND WIRETAPPING. Support transit, environment, privacy, choice, childcare, eldercare.
- Occupation: Physician/Medical Doctor
- Party: Democratic
- Current Position: Chairman Dept. of Radiology - Kaweah Delta Hospital - Visalia, CA
- M.D. degree Univ. of New Mexico School of Medicine - Albuquerque - 1985
- B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering - Univ. of New Mexico - 1981
- Have held various positions and jobs in the oil and gas industry.
- Physicians Recognition Award for CME, Member - California Medical Association, American College of Radiology, RSNA, CRS
- BUDGET: A balanced budget with zero deficit spending is the most responsible policy.
- HEALTHCARE: All Californians should have affordable and accessible healthcare.
- IMMIGRATION REFORM: It's time to move forward on this issue now.
- Occupation: Engineer
- MSME; BA MATHEMATICS; ADVANCED DEGREES IN ENGINEERING
- 4-term elected member of Professional Engineers in California Government
- 12 years as a board member of Lexington Square Homeowners Assoc.
- California Public Utilities Commission
- PATENT (2)
- The Argus News--February 20, 2004--Bold Choice for County School Board; Vibert Greene.
Jerald Robert Gerst
- Audit Budget Allocations for Education.
- Increase salaries and benefits for State workers; Schools; Security; Healthcare and Low Income Workers
- Link Businesses Tax cuts to Number of New Hires and Levy Taxes on Outsourced Offshore Products and Services.
- Occupation: Medical Doctor, Physician
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
State of California
Campaign Finance Data
Secretary of State
Around the Capitol
Project Vote Smart
News and Analysis
- Phil Angelides & Steve Westly
- California Report, KQED-FM, two interviews by Scott Shafer (also extended interviews). See Tues and Weds.
- Two Democratic Candidates Have Very Different Spending Plans
- California Report, KQED-FM. See Weds, 5/31 (6 min after 1 min news).
- Becnel, Macaluso, Gerst, Strimling,& Greene
- Forum with Susan Rasky, KQED-FM, 6/1/06 (55 min)
Orange County Register
Google News Search
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.