(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: State Senator
- School Board Member.
- State Assembly 1982-94.
- State Senate 1994-present.
Katherine H. "Kathy" Smith
- Reduce class sizes in as many grades as possible.
- Make sure a qualified teacher is in every classroom.
- Provide modern, safe schools with up-to-date textbooks.
- Occupation: President, Board of Trustees, Anaheim Union High School Dist
- Founder, Group Resolving Anti-social Problems (GRASP)
- Recipient, George Washington Honor Medal
- Programs to teach character, respect, manners and patriotism.
- Create schools of academic excellence for motivated students.
- Establish literacy, trade & tech education for non-violent inmates
- Occupation: Commissioner, San Francisco Board of Education
- Public elementary school teacher
- CA Multiple Subject teaching credential
- B.A. English Literature
- Significantly increase resources for public education, beginning by meeting the nation's average in per-pupil spending
- Eliminate high-stakes testing and develop authentic multiple measures of student achievement
- Compensate teachers with a salary commensurate to the valuable work they provide
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
State of California
Easy Reading Voter Guide
Free Airtime Project
News and Analysis
- All candidates
- overview of responsibilities, statements of candidates
KQED-FM San Francisco Public Radio 88.5
The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa)
San Diego Union Tribune
San Francisco Chronicle
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- See the candidates and issues from the 11/03/1998 election.