(Vote for 1)
Click on a candidate name for more information.
- Party: Democratic.
- Occupation: Lawmaker/Attorney.
- President pro Tempore of the California State Senate, 1994-1998.
- Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, 1985-1994.
- Supported the death penalty for 30 years, voted for 1,423 more years of prison sentences, wrote "three strikes" legislation for violent criminals.
- Reformed California's judicial branch by increasing funding for trial courts and speeding up the death penalty appeals process.
- Toughened penalties for wife beaters, drunk drivers and drug dealers.
- Authored landmark legislation to fight elder abuse and prevent juvenile violence.
- GET GUNS OUT OF OUR SCHOOLS--Last year 1,000,000 kids went to school with a gun, too often shattering lives and spreading fear in our communities.
- ENFORCE THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN--Sensible gun control laws protect our communities and our law enforcement officers.
- PROVIDE NON-PARTISAN LEADERSHIP AT DOJ--Lockyer will forge consensus to protect victims, consumers, our environment, and a woman's right to choose.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Deputy Attorney General
- California State Assembly
- General Council of the Agriculture Labor Relations Board
- Sacramento County Superior Court Judge
- 1998 Chairman Republican Party Crime & Justice Committee
- Supporter of "3 Strikes" author Mike Reynolds "10-20-Life" Laws
- Member of Assembly Judiciary & Criminal Justice Committees
Diane Beall Templin
- Using the bully pulpit of the Attorney General to focus public attention on the challenges facing our children from crime, violence, drugs, and abuse.
- Working with local law enforcement and schools to provide a safe school environment for our children, including their corridoors to and from school.
- To reduce the supply of, and the demand for, illegal drugs in California. Toward this end, I am calling for a mandatory 25 years to life prison sentence for any adult who peddles illegal drugs ( heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc.) to minors.
- Party: American Independent
- Occupation: Attorney for 24 years-California &NY
- American Party Presidential Candidate 1996-State Assembly Candidate 1994
- Constitutionalist-for Bill of Rights-less Fed gov't.-10thAmend.
- Liberty Amendment to eliminate Fed Income Tax & IRS
- Businesswoman-Founder of Advocate's Legal Services
- Co-founder of Advocate's Ministries-for Seniors & Children
- Mom of 22 year old and foster mom to 67 children
Joseph S. Farina
- OUR RIGHTS ARE OUR MIGHT- As Attorney General I will protect the rights of Californians & enforce constitution & laws uniformly
- OUR VOTES ARE OUR VOICE-I will insure that laws and petitions are in plain language so we can understand what we're voting on
- OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS ARE ACCOUNTABLE- I will work to halt corruption, reform our legal system, reduce crime &- make California a safer place to live
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Attorney
- U.S. Army 1976-179 Honorable Discharge
- B.A. University of Maryland 1982
- J.D. Santa Clara University 1986
- 10th Assembly District Candidate 1992
Robert J. "Bob" Evans
- Concealed weapons permits to all eligible citizens
- Uphold Propositions 209 and 215
- Allow gaming on tribal Indian reservations
- Party: Peace and Freedom
- Occupation: Criminal Defense Lawyer
- J.D., 1970, University of California Berkeley (Boalt Hall School of Law)
- B.A., 1967, University of California Berkeley
- Defend public against illegal police conduct
- Fight the death penalty
- Organize for a collectively owned and democratically managed economy.
Basic candidate data supplied by the County elections official. Any additional information supplied by the candidate.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
From the Sec'y. of State
Free Air Time for Candidates from the California Channel
League of Women Voters
Voluntary Online Campaign Disclosure Project
Cal. Voter Foundation - Top Contributors
News and Analysis
San Francisco Chronicle
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.