(Vote for 1)
Click on a candidate name for more information.
- Occupation: Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Reduced class sizes in grades K-3
- Raised academic standards in Math and English
- Organized NetDay to increase technology in the classroom
- Launched Universal Pre-school Task Force
- Implemented a statewide assessment system
- Former teacher, businesswoman, Assemblywoman, and Chair of the California Assembly Committee on Education
Gloria Matta Tuchman
- Raise school funding to the national average over the next five years..
- Institute summer school and after school programs to help students reach grade level standards.
- Continue to reduce class sizes in elementary schools.
(This candidate has not
responded to Smart Voter)
- Occupation: Parent/School Teacher
- Phone: 714 832-5262; Addr: 1742 Lerner Lane, Santa Ana, CA 92705; Email: GMTUCHMAN@aol.com
- Occupation: Educational Career Consultant
- Elected to San Diego County Board of Education in 1991 for 4-year term
- Past President of San Diego County Board of Education (1996)
- Core Adjunct Faculty, National University's School of Education
- Founder/CEO Career Development Services
- Ph.D. and M.A. in Education
- Mother of four grown children, grandmother to three. Married to Dr. Harke Kylstra, a retired general surgeon from Holland. Residence is in LaJolla, Ca.
- Focus on curriculum at elementary level to strengthen academic standards
- Provide leadership to higher education in training teachers in core academic subjects
- Downsize State Department of Education (10% annually) giving local districts more autonomy
- Occupation: Teacher/Businessman/Commentator
- 14 year teacher
- masters degree in education
- president of successful distribution company
- cable host of tv show "Saving the American Dream"
- Bruce Herschensohn's delegate to Republican Party
- spokesperson for props. 174, 187 and 209
- ensure that students who graduate are skilled in the basics
- ending wasteful programs like bilingual education,new math and whole language
- support parents in finding the best education-public,private, or home schooling
- Occupation: Teacher
- Native Californian, married, 8 grandchildren
- Five years in U.S. Army: draftee, 1st Lt., Army aviator
- BA from UC Davis, MA & PhD from UC Berkeley
- Ten years college teaching, twenty years in small business
- Extensive, varied teaching: Military, business, flight and skiing instructor etc.
- Credentialed K-12 teacher. Now substitute teaching in local school.
- Persuading parents they must shield children from electronic entertainment--provide challenging, nurturing experience.
- Foster improved teaching via locally devised collaboration, peer review, faculty responsibility for academic excellence.
- Curricula that engages all youngsters: "Basics" include the arts, health/physical education, technology studies.
Basic candidate data supplied by the Registrar of Voters. Any additional information supplied by the candidate.
Live Election Returns|
About this Office
- Sup't. of Public Inst.
- from Sec. of St. after 8 pm, June 2
News and Analysis
- Official Ballot Statements
- of all candidates
- Duties & Responsibilities
- Official Website
Orange County Register
San Diego Union Tribune
San Francisco Examiner
Links to outside sources are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.