This information is provided by the candidate
Who is the Controller? The Controller, the Chief Financial Officer of the State, among other things:
As California's Next Controller: With demonstrated leadership in serving as a responsible steward of our tax dollars and public resources, Betty will bring her fair yet tough-minded discipline to the office of Controller, California's Chief Financial Officer and independent fiscal watchdog. She will work hard to restore and maintain California's fiscal health so that the doors of opportunity in the Golden State may be open to all.
- Provides sound fiscal control over the receipt and disbursement of public funds.
- Monitors the financial operations and condition of both the state and local governments, providing fiscal guidance accordingly.
- Ensures fair, equitable, and effective tax administration for the collection of monies due to the State.
- Establishes policies for over 80 boards, commissions, and committees, including, but not limited to, those relating to tax administration, public pensions, facilities financing, low-income housing, management of state-owned lands, and bond financing.
- Administering the Unclaimed Property Program, returning unclaimed property received from banks, insurance companies, and other business firms to the property owners.
Her priorities as California's next Controller include:
These priorities have the potential of significantly addressing the growing crisis of income inequality in California.
- Leading the much-needed, long-overdue discussion on comprehensive tax reform to make our tax system more fair, up to date, stable, and sustainable. This is critical now to address the growing crisis of income inequality and before the temporary tax increases pursuant to Proposition 30 expire.
- Preserving retirement security for public employees, educational employees, and teachers by protecting our defined benefit plans under CalPERS and CalSTRS while employing more active management of asset allocation and increasing public and member transparency.
- Modeling responsible environmental stewardship over our State lands, waterways, and natural resources by employing the highest energy efficiency standards, the most aggressive waste reduction goals, strict water conservation and reuse policies, and more, to focus attention on growing the green economy.
The office of Controller demands someone with Betty's qualifications to serve: extensive finance experience; bold leadership; a commitment to fairness; the highest transparency; and unblemished integrity.