(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: California Schools Superintendent
- California State Assemblymember (1996-2000, 2008-2010)
- California State Senator (2000-2008)
- Contra Costa County Supervisor (1980-1996)
- Antioch City Council (1978-1980)
- Teacher, Mt. Diablo Unified School District (1973-1980)
- University of California, Berkeley B.A. in History (1971), M.A. in Education (1977)
- Make sure decisions about our education dollars are made by local schools, parents and teachers themselves, not politicians.
- Expand career and technical training for high-school students to ensure every child graduates with real-world skills
- Make schools safer by preventing crimes against children, curbing bullying, and keeping kids safe from gangs, drugs and guns.
- Occupation: Educator/Schools' Executive
- CEO of the Partnership for Los Angeles Schools (2007-2013)
- President & CEO, Green Dot Public Schools (2002-2006)
- General Manager and Business Development Manager, Strategic Accounts Group, Model N Inc (2001-2002)
- MBA, Harvard University, 2000
- Financial Analyst, Solomon Brothers (1995-1997)
- B.S., Political Science, summa cum laude, University of California Los Angeles, 1995
- Bring major change to California public schools. Sacramento politicians and bureaucrats make too many education decisions and waste taxpayer money.
- Empower parents, teachers and principals by increasing local control when it comes to decisions that impact student learning.
- Ensure all students have access to a strong principal, effective teacher and well-rounded college and career ready curriculum
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Campaign Finance Data
- As the state's chief of public schools, provides education policy direction to local school districts, and works
with the educational community to improve academic performance.
- Heads the Department of Education and carries out policies set by the State Board of Education.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of governing boards of the state's higher education system.
Secretary of State
News and Analysis
KQED News Election Watch
- California Report
- 3 minute overview. 10/3
- Election Guide
- Click on "Superintendent of Public Instruction" to see a summary, overview of what each candidate would do if elected, the "inside scoop" about the race by correspondent John Myers, and links to other KQED coverage.
- Coverage of this race
- includes 58 min interview of each candidate on Forum with Michael Krasny on 10/2
Links to all candidate campaign websites for this race:
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.