Should changes in some health insurance rates require the Insurance Commissioner's approval before going into effect?
- Requires changes to health insurance rates, or anything else affecting the charges associated with
health insurance, to be approved by Insurance Commissioner before taking effect.
- Provides for public notice, disclosure, and hearing on health insurance rate changes, and
subsequent judicial review.
- Requires sworn statement by health insurer as to accuracy of information submitted to Insurance
Commissioner to justify rate changes.
- Does not apply to employer large group health plans.
- Prohibits health, auto, and homeowners insurers from determining policy eligibility or rates based
on lack of prior coverage or credit history
state administrative costs to regulate health insurance, likely not
exceeding the low millions of dollars annually in most years,
funded from fees paid by health insurance companies.
- A YES vote on this measure means:
for individual and small group
health insurance would need to
be approved by the Insurance
Commissioner before taking
- A NO vote on this measure means:
regulators would continue to
have the authority to review,
but not approve, rates for
individual and small group
- Summary of Arguments FOR Proposition 45:
- Californians are being
overcharged for health
insurance. Prop. 45 will stop
the price gouging by requiring
health insurance companies
to be transparent and publicly
can increase. The same
regulation of auto insurance has
saved drivers billions. Sponsors:
California Nurses Association.
Opponents: health insurance
- Summary of Arguments AGAINST Proposition 45:
- Prop. 45 is a power
grab by special interests
to take control over health
care benefits and rates from
California's successful new
and give it to one Sacramento
politician instead. Higher
costs, more bureaucracy.
Political interference with
treatment options. Exempts big
corporations. Nurses, doctors,
consumers say vote No!
- Contact FOR Proposition 45:
- Consumer Watchdog Campaign
2701 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 112
Santa Monica, CA 90405
- Contact AGAINST Proposition 45:
- No on 45--Californians
Against Higher Health Care
455 Capitol Mall, Suite 600
Sacramento, CA 95814
Secretary of State
Campaign Finance Data
- Funding Summary for Prop 45
- the most complete information: everything on this page plus funding, news articles, endorsements, ads. From MapLight and the Smart Voter team of LWV California Education Fund
- Details of committee campaign finance filings submitted to the Secretary of State.
League of Women Voters
Pros & Cons: Santa Clara County
Pros & Cons: Alameda County
News and Analysis
- Oct. 27, 7:00 to 9:00 pm, Fremont Main Library, 2400 Stevenson Blvd., Fremont
KQED News Election Watch
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.