This information is provided by the candidate
My name is Rick Cassar and I am running for a seat on the Board of the Cardiff Elementary School District.
Why am I running?
What makes me the best candidate?
- I have a 2 year old son who means the world to me. He will be attending Cardiff Elementary in 3 years and I want to do everything I can to ensure that his school will remain one of the best elementary schools in California.
- Budget cuts have hit our schools very hard in recent years and, depending on the outcome of the election November 6, the cuts may be devastating.
- I have the knowledge and experience to ensure that, no matter what, we protect teacher salaries, arts and music programs, ensure student safety and offer the best educational opportunities possible to our children.
- I have been a College Counselor and Professor for over 27 years.
- Budget Experience: I have served on numerous college governance committees including the SDCCD Budget Committee, which oversees a budget of more than 780 million dollars.
- No Layoffs: I am proud to say that, in my 27 years with the district, we have never had to lay off full time teachers or staff members.
- I have shared ideas that have saved the district millions of dollars while not hurting students or employees.
- I have the knowledge and creativity to turn difficult situations into win-win situations.
- I am a consensus builder and a team player.
- I am well-liked and respected by the SDCCD Governing Board, SDCCD Administrators, and, of course the faculty, staff and students.
- Advocacy Skills: I have been a member of a team that has negotiated collective bargaining agreements for faculty and staff. These agreements ensured job stability and equitable pay while keeping the district fiscally solvent.
- Campus Safety: I am a founding member of SD Miramar College's Behavioral Intervention Team. I have vast experience dealing with campus safety issues ranging from bullying to the unthinkable. I am committed to not only keeping campuses safe, but to creating an environment in which our children, teachers, administrators and parents feel completely safe at all times.
- Respect: I deeply respect and value everyone in the district and the feeling is mutual.
- As a testimony to this, I can tell you that the custodian at San Diego City College invited me to his son's wedding after I had mentored his son from his junior year in high school. This son, Julio, graduated from high school, attended City College, transferred to UCSD, earned his PhD from Cornell and came back to teach at City before moving on to a job with a 6 figure salary. This is not an isolated situation. I have been blessed to have been able to touch the lives of so many kids who have gone on to be successful adults.
- Commitment: Now, I have decided to bring my expertise home and to do everything within my power to make Cardiff Schools the best they can possibly be. I think the current board has done a tremendous job and I look forward to bringing some new ideas and perspectives in order to make us an even stronger board.
- I believe that my big picture perspective, knowledge, expertise and consensus building skills will make me a valuable asset to the Cardiff school board and...
- I hope I can count on your vote Tuesday, November 6, 2012.