This information is provided by the candidate
ECONOMIC REFORM and JOB-CREATION
- Work with local chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, trade associations and business leaders to retain, recruit and create a healthier business environment to provide better paying jobs.
- Streamline the Department of Planning and Land Use (DPLU) to expedite permits for businesses to expand their operations or to build new facilities. It should not take five to ten years to go through a bureaucratic process.
- Abolish the $12,000 per year "car allowance" per supervisor that is added to their pension package.
- Eliminate taxpayer pensions for Supervisors. They can participate in a 401(k) program like the rest of us.
- Eliminate the "double dipping" of thousands of taxpayer dollars of "per diems" from outside organizations and agencies to Supervisors.
- Cut supervisorial office budget by 20 percent.
- Eliminate $5 million pork-spending earmarks a.k.a. "Neighborhood Reinvestment Program." No more $10,000 taxpayer paid funds to the San Diego Guild of Puppetry. Groups and organizations can go through the appropriate budgeting process. No more purchasing political patronage at taxpayers' expense.
PUBLIC SAFETY REFORM
- Establish a permanent gift ban for supervisors from individuals and organizations that receive taxpayer dollars from the County. This will assist in avoiding conflict-of-interest.
- Create a regional "Ethics Commission"
PUBLIC SERVICES REFORM
- Work with local and volunteer fire agencies to create a County-wide Regional Fire Fighting Authority. With two major fire catastrophes and a population of more than three million people, it is time!
- Protect and support the men and women of law enforcement and ensure they have the tools they need to get the job done.
- Provide constructive after-school programs that keep our children off the street and out of trouble. I want to go from a service base economy to a knowledge base economy by promoting after-school activities that focuses on math, science and technology (out of 34 countries, the United States ranks 17th in science and 25th in math).
- Every child born in the United States should have the chance to succeed in our society. That is why I will promote after-school programs that will work with those students where English is their second language. I believe that assimilation into our language and culture is the basis to build a strong foundation for success.
- Enhance the Veterans Service Office. With more than 260,000 veterans throughout our region, San Diego County has the second largest veteran population in the state. We need to provide assistance to those brave men and women who have served our country and assist them in transitioning back to civilian life.
- Fight to preserve and protect our environment and put into the County charter a provision to invest in the latest technology to clean up our lakes, rivers, lagoons and beaches. We have to protect the crown jewel of our region that makes us so unique. Not only for our children and future generations to enjoy, our natural resource provides millions of dollars in revenue to our region from visitors throughout the world who wish to enjoy this place we call home. We must protect this natural investment and our quality of life.
|| Feedback to Candidate
|| This Contest
June 2012 Home (Ballot Lookup)
|| About Smart Voter
The League of Women Voters does not support or oppose any candidate or political party.
Created from information supplied by the candidate: May 8, 2012 09:07
Smart Voter <http://www.smartvoter.org/>
League of Women Voters of California Education Fund http://ca.lwv.org