(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Juvenile Programs Manager
- Employer: California Administrative Office of the Courts
- Education: M.P.P., Goldman School of Public Policy
- Education: J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law
- Ensure transparent, accessible and inclusive school and district governance
- Evaluate whether programs and initiatives are actually improving student achievement
- Collaborate with city and community partners to leverage and effectively use resources
- Occupation: School Finance Attorney
- Former financial advisor to school districts
- Berkeley High Student Court - Co-Founder/Former Program Coordinator
- Berkeley Public Library Foundation - Board Member
- Berkeley High School Junior Varsity Baseball Team - Former Assistant Coach
- UC Berkeley - Juris Doctorate and Masters in Public Policy
- Berkeley High, Willard, Washington - Alumnus
Karen (Johnson) Hemphill
- Support effectiveness in classrooms and intervention/enrichment programs through evaluations and practical application of best practices
- Ensure efficient use of resources, including non-financial resources such as Cal student volunteers and course coordination with Berkeley City College
- Advocate for open, transparent, and informed decision-making
- Occupation: Incumbent
- Profession: Emeryville City Clerk
- Current Co-Chair Yes on Measures H & I (continuation of current school construction and maintenance tax)
- Past Berkeley School Parcel Tax Planning and Oversight Committee Member
- Past Co-President Berkeley High Parent, Teacher, Student Association (PTSA)
- Past Washington and Longfellow School Governance Member
- Bachelor's Degree from Brown University and graduate degree from U.C. Berkeley
- Maintaining core academic programs/increasing overall student achievement despite difficult economic times
- Building upon our progress in strengthening middle and high school math/science programs and establishing a career-technical pathway
- Working with the City and other community partners to broaden resources to maintain student support services and combat truancy and alcohol/drug abuse
- Occupation: Printer/Business Owner
- 3 years, Co-chair, district BSEP (school parcel tax) Planning & Oversight Committee (6 years committee member)
- Co-president, Berkeley High School Development Group
- Superintendent's Budget Advisory and Facilities Committees; Measure A Campaign Committee 2006
- 5 years serving on School Governance Councils, elementary and middle schools
- 28 years owning and running a successful small business
- BS Botany, UC Davis
- focus on continuous improvement of teaching and learning in the classroom
- expanding career-linked and technical education
- ensuring all programs are effective, fiscally sound and sustainable
- Occupation: Community Volunteer
- Education advocate and Former Chief Financial Officer
- Former CPA, controller at Genentech, and bioscience CFO
- Founding member of nonprofit WriterCoach Connection
- Ten years in the classroom coaching BUSD sstudents
- Parent of Two Berkeley High Grads ('04,'08)
- BA, UC Berkeley; MBA, Columbia University
Norma J F (Fox) Harrison
- ACHIEVEMENT Evaluate programs--fund those that work
- FACILITIES Plan before you build and build what you plan
- ACCOUNTABILITY, TRANSPARENCY, AND OVERSIGHT for spending decisions and fiscal management
- Occupation: Community Volunteer
- Long-time political activist
- To end our relationship to the Owning class, thus ending their ownership of our labor..
- To provide the seat at this fundamental social structure's board to discuss the need and process to work for that goal.
- To grow our power for utopian struggle.
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.