Runoff Election 11/2/2010
(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Retired School Superintendent
- Superintendent, Franklin-McKinley School District
- 1991-1994 Superintendent, Alum Rock Union School District
- 1989-1991 Deputy Superintendent, Pajaro Valley Unified School District
- Principal, Imperial Beach Elementary School, South Bay Union SD
- 1974-1979 Bilingual Teacher, Bayside Elementary School, South Bay USD
- MA, Education, Early Childhood Education Emphasis from San Diego State University
- Stop the budget cuts to our education system.
- Increase equitable funding for our schools and ensure accountability across the board.
- I will also work to reduce class sizes, improve student achievement, and reduce our state's dropout rate.
- Occupation: Teacher/California Legislator
- California State Assemblymember (1996-2000, 2008-present)
- California State Senator (2000-2008)
- Contra Costa County Supervisor (1980-1996)
- Antioch City Council (1978-1980)
- Teacher, Mt. Diablo Unified School District (1973-1980)
- University of California, Berkeley B.A. in History (1971), M.A. in Education (1977)
- Make sure every neighborhood school has the resources required to provide every student a top-quality education in a safe and healthy environment.
- Support and promote a competitive 21st Century school environment, with our students having multiple pathways to success.
- Ensure our children have a healthy start, including access to good food, adequate health care, and quality physical education.
Lydia A. Gutierrez
- Occupation: Educator/Senator
- Occupation: Public School Teacher
- Pepperdine University, B.A.
- Cal-State Dominques Hill University, M.A.
- Cal-State Long Beach University, Fellow-Writing
- U.C.L.A. Mathematics Project-Master Teacher
- Cal-State Los Angeles University, Access to Science Standards & Educational Technology
- California Polytechnic State University, Mathematics Leadership Institute
Grant Mitchel McMicken
- Achieving Academic Excellence
- Building Fiscal Responsibility
- Cultivating Success after Graduation
- Occupation: Mathematics Teacher/Educator
- CSU-S - BA-Mathematics, 1971
- CSU-S - Secondary Teaching Credential, 1972
- National U - Masters-Computers&Education, 1991
- Presidential Award for Excellence in Secondary Mathematics Education-1993
- 27 years teaching mathematics, MS, HS,JC
- Computer Consultant (7 years)
- Reform the structure of the CA public education system
- Promote CTE (vocational education)
- Promote ELA and arithmetic skills in pre-school and primary grades
- Occupation: Geologist
- Thirteen years industry experience.
- Designed & taught industry courses/CSUB.
- Adjunct faculty/environmental geology/Unity, Maine.
- Substitute teacher in Aldine ISD, Texas.
- Adult literacy volunteer in Houston, Texas.
- Education Initiative Chair for Pacific Section AAPG.
Diane A. Lenning, Ed.M.
- Revisit State Standards & Curriculums, return to time tested teaching methods
- Pay for Performance - developed by State with teachers input, not imposed by Race to the Top
- More Charter Schools and California Partnership Academies - success comes from parental involvement & industry support
- Occupation: Retired Educator
- Educator over 30 yrs: high school English, history, science, math, traffic & safety & music in national award winning district, most improved scores
- Investor/Businessowner over 40 years. Founding Board Member of HB4Marines and Cal Poly Advisory Board, Soc Sciences
- MEDAL of FREEDOM AWARD winner 2004 by United State Senate for political analysis, talking points preserving LIBERTY, Freedom in America and the world
- M.A. Secondary Education-History/CSULB... B.A. Cal-Poly SLO...CSUF Credentials: Administration, Resource Specialist, CLAD/ELL, Traffic & Safety
- President: Federalist Society: Concord Law School...3rd year law student to write legislation to systemically "fix" our schools!
- Descendant of George Washington's sister; DAR, Patriot, founding Jamestown, VA family.
Daniel M. Nusbaum
- Reduce the "drop-out" rate: SAFE schools for positive learning environment. Strategies such as w.PetersProcedures to assure "high quality" educators
- VOCATIONAL Education for student skills to get a JOB after high school. Some kids don't intent to go to college. JOB skills improve their future!
- Gov't/Civics requirement to assure "Torch of Liberty" is passed on to @ generation! Teach US Constitution, founding documents, Amer flag in classrooms
- Occupation: Public School Teacher
- B.A. in English, State Univ. of NY at Buffalo, 1968
- M.S. in education, State Univ. College at Buffalo, 1970
- National Teacher Corps graduate, 1970
- CA Arts Council "musical artist-in-residence," 1976
- doctoral candidate in education admin. & policy, UCLA, 1986
- candidate for CA supt. of public instruction,1982, 1986
Alexia L. Deligianni
- "Executive Councils" are needed to govern and manage CA public schools.
- CA lottery funds must go directly to schools, not school districts.
- Do away with California Standards Tests.
Henry Williams, Jr.
- Occupation: Governing Board Member, Orange Unified School District
- Occupation: Adjunct Professor
- Ed.D: (pending), Ed.M, B.S., A.S., A.A. Degrees
- Doctoral Dissertation: The Encounters of Native Hawaiian Youth with Hawaiian Sovereignty and their Experiences in Education
- Taught at University of California College Prep Online, Simpson University, Credential: CCTC, currently an online college professor.
- Board member: Shasta County Citizens Against Racism (SCCAR), Member: Campaign for College Opportunity (Regional Judge), School Site Council.
- U.S.A.F. Veteran, Homeschooled in California for 12 years, SLS/SLLA exam,
- Toastmasters Club: Hawaii, misc. professional development certificates
Leonard James Martin
Faarax Dahir Sheikh-Noor
- Parental rights and values: empower parents so they can safeguard how their children learn.
- Decrease dropout rate: more online learning and synthesizing NCLB mandates into arts, music, sports, and vocational training,
- Improve budget crisis: Revise Prop. 98, pay-cap on county/district superintendents, remove duplicate office of the Secretary of Education,
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Campaign Finance Data
- As the state's chief spokesperson for public schools,
provides education policy and direction to local school
- Directs all functions of the Department of Education and
executes policies set by the State Board of Education.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of governing boards of
the state's higher education system.
- Works with the educational community to improve
Secretary of State
News and Analysis
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.