Delaware County, PA
November 3, 2009 Election
A Fiscal Calamity
By Pete Alyanakian
Mayor; Borough of Media
This information is provided by the candidate
Media Republican Public Finances Actions...
A general rule of thumb for municipal government is to have a minimum of 1 year's revenue ($5,000,000) in a capital reserve fund. We currently have about $400,000, this is a pitiful state to be in when we received over $4,000,000 from the sale of our wastewater treatment facility in 1998. Over spending, no bid contracts, and fiscal mismanagement has lead us to where we are today. In fact we ran out of money 4 years ago and had to borrow over $1,200,000 to complete our streetscape and Trader Joe projects.
In order to achieve some sense of fiscal stability we have recommended the following steps:
...Than Media Democratic words
- We have repeatedly recommended that all professional consultants be paid on a retainer. Currently only the Borough solicitor is paid on a retainer saving the borough an average of $70,000 a year over previous solicitor's expenses.
- Recommended the Borough engineer be put on a retainer that would have saved an average of $30,000 per year (SHHHH the engineer is one of the largest contributors to the Media Democratic Party).
- Recommended selling the old borough hall that would have netted the borough in excess $900,000 that would have helped replenish our capital reserve fund.
Don't believe election season rhetoric please compare our record to theirs and you will conclude "It's time for Change" Nov 3rd.
- "We will administer the borough government with professionalism, keeping Media financially sound and maintaining a full range of high quality municipal services- We will do so without a tax increase". source: Media Democratic newsletter dated Nov 5, 2005
- "We will not raise taxes for Media residents". Source: Media Democratic newsletter dated Nov 4, 2005
- Media Borough taxes have risen 300% since 2007.
- Ignored professional real estate consultants, paid by the borough, on the value of old borough hall, keeping the borough in the real estate management business.
- Refuse to put township engineer on retainer and awarded no-bid contract for a project that has taken 12 yrs to design and is still not completed. The engineer also happens to be one of the largest contributors to the Media Democrats.
|| Feedback to Candidate
|| This Contest
November 2009 Home (Ballot Lookup)
|| About Smart Voter
Created from information supplied by the candidate: October 6, 2009 10:43
Smart Voter <http://www.smartvoter.org/>
League of Women Voters of California Education Fund.
The League of Women Voters neither supports nor
opposes candidates for public office or political parties.