(Vote for 2)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Hilary S. Paulson
- Occupation: Appointed Incumbent
- B.A. University of California, Berkeley
- J.D. Univerity of California, Hastings College of the Law
- Trustee Redwood City School District, appointed February 2008
- Past Chairman Redwood City Planning Commission 2005
- Past Vice Chair Redwood City Housing and Human Concerns Committee, 2003
- Co-Chair Stafford/Stulsaft Park Renovation Committee
- Ensuring that the Redwood City School District continues on its course of academic advancement and excellence for all students.
- Increasing district test scores while closing the achievement gap.
- Meeting the needs of all of our diverse students whether gifted, multilingual or special needs.
- Occupation: Incumbent
- EDUCATION: Attended Redwood City Schools; BS, Business Management, Menlo College, Menlo Park, CA
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: 30 Year Resident and Involved in Community and Education
- EMPLOYMENT: Redwood City Public Library
- PERSONAL: Married to Warren Slocum with two college-aged children
- AWARDS: Middlefield Festival, Recognition for Contributions to the North Fair Oaks Community
- OTHER: Delegate to the California School Boards Association
John J. "Jack" Hickey
- We must guarantee that the district is fiscally sound while ensuring that as many dollars as possible make it to the classroom.
- Recruiting and retaining qualified teachers for all classrooms at every school.
- Strengthen public confidence in our schools and guarantee that each child receives a high quality education
- Occupation: Member, Sequoia Healthcare District Board of Directors
- U.S. Navy Veteran (1953-1957)
- Graduate - Navy ET School - Great Lakes, IL
- Inventor - 28 Patents (lasers, electronics, electro-optics)
- Defeated last three Parcel Taxes floated by the RCSD
- Taxpayers Advocate -- responsible for the defeat of Measure A(Best Schools Proposal) in 1991 which would have added 1/2% to our sales tax.
- Author, Hickey-Canfield Performance Voucher Initiative(1979) and PAVE 2000(Performance Accountability Voucher for Education)
- Create Choice by Promoting Property Tax Credits for Education to empower parents
- Restore suspended programs by Downsizing the District to match enrollment
- Promote non-union Charter Schools(with on-line and 7/24/365 options) recruiting teachers with flexible hours from the ranks of retirees and burnouts.
- Occupation: Parent/ Business Owner
- Children Advocate
- Founding member, and former board member of the Special Education PTA, Redwood City (SEPTAR)
- Bringing accountability through transparency to ensure sure all the programs implemented are directly benefiting students and are cost effective.
- Introducing positive behavior intervention techniques in schools and classrooms to decrease disciplinary actions and increase learning time.
- Promoting parent involvement at all school sites by having the district take a leadership role in supporting schools' PTAs and PTOs.
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
- Candidates' Forum
- Thursday, 1 October 2009, 7 pm
- Redwood City Elementary School District Office,
750 Bradford Street, Redwood City
- co-sponsored by the Special Education PTA of Redwood City (SEPTAR) and Redwood City Education Foundation (RCEF)
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.