(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Educator/Prosecutor/Parent
- Torrance School Board President, 2009
- Torrance School Board trustee since 2005
- Deputy Attorney General, California Department of Justice
- Former Chairman, Torrance Planning Commission
- Former Director, League of Women Voters of Torrance
- Married, one daughter
- Continue the tradition of excellent Torrance schools despite State budget cuts
- Repair and upgrade aging school facilities
- Spend tax dollars wisely and ensure fiscal responsibility
- Occupation: Teacher/Board Member
- TUSD School Board Member for 4 Years.
- Occupation: Public School Teacher for 26 years. Presently teaching 4th grade
- Experienced in modernization of school sites
- Coordinator of Maintenance for local school district for 6 years
- Parent of children who have attendedTorrance schools
- Supported Measures Y and Z
Michael P. Wermers
- Ensure Bond dollars are being monitored and wisely spent.
- Maintain the ability to keep and attract quality teachers.
- Ensure fiscal stability of the district
- Occupation: Business Owner
- Parent of three young daughters in Torrance Schools
- Torrance Library Commissioner
- Member of Torrance Education Foundation Board of Directors
- Member of Torrance Chamber of Commerce
- Honorary Service Award Recipient from Torrance Council of PTAs
- On Committee that wrote the city of Torrance's Strategic General Plan
Kathleen J. Wood
- Quality of Education
- Oversight of Propositons Y & Z Funds
- Transparency within TUSD
- Occupation: Business Manager/Parent
- Torrance resident since 1962
- Graduate of South High
- Parent of West Hgh student
G. Rick "Rick" Marshall
- Look for and eliminate wasteful spending
- Keep tradition of quality education
- Complete Education: Academics, Athletics, Arts and Social Skills
- Occupation: Independent Small Businessman
- 1978 Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration
- Contract Software Developer, self-employed
- Member, Curriculum Advisory Board, Harbor College
- 2000 Fundraiser, Muscular Dystrophy Lockout
- 1997-2001, Chairman, SMART (Organization of Torrance Taxpayers)
- 2001 - 2005 Host Family, Japanese Exchange Students
Kevin E. Bellenfant
- ACADEMICS: Work with Teachers to maintain core subjects as program cuts are made to remove $11 million deficit. Give Torrance residents priority.
- CONSTRUCTION:Implement voter approved school construction projects. Spend excess funding only with voter approval.
- TAXES: Oppose parcel tax for funding school operations instead reduce special education encroachment on general fund.
Sameer "Supreme Sam" Bhavnani
- Occupation: Attorney/Parent
- Occupation: Business Owner
- Creator of the South Bay Film Festival
- B.A Degree from CSULB
- Product of the Torrance School System
- Honest Man
- Reduce Cost of Schools, by eliminating Books and going to digital eBOOKS
- Increasing Education by raising standards, and tailoring teaching to fit our kid's learning habits
- Increase education in Money Management, Social Standards, Communication
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
- Torrance Unified School District
Monday October 19
location: Katy Geissert Civic Center Library, 3301 W. Torrance Bl.
co-sponsors: League of Women Voters of Torrance; Torrance Council of PTAs
video: taped by Torrance Community TV for broadcast on Time-Warner Channel 28 & Verizon Channel 36 (October 21 thru November 2 at 8:00pm)
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.