(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Public School Educator
- Former Attorney
- MA Education, NYU; JD Yale; BS Cornell
- Former PAUSD Teacher, District Math Specialist (curriculum, training)
- Parent Rep: Nixon Site Council, Gunn Foundation
- Children have attended Briones, Nixon, JLS, Gunn
- PAUSD Strategic Planning; Board Member PAFE, PAGS Softball
Melissa Baten Caswell
- Create a plan to meet our current pressing enrollment growth and facilities needs that reflects a long-term, comprehensive vision for our schools
- Craft a strategic plan focused on educational excellence and social/emotional health, backed by measurable, achievable benchmarks
- Innovate and identify best educational practices to meet the needs of all students, especially in the core program, and promote use district-wide
- Occupation: Community Volunteer
- Dartmouth AB, MBA Degrees
- 14 years as executive in finance, marketing, and strategy; worked on Wall Street and in local high tech firms.
- President, Palo Alto PTA Council, 2005-7; Executive VP, Palo Alto PTA Council; President, Duveneck PTA
- Founding Board Member, Youth Community Service
- Parent Advisory Board, Downtown Children's Center Preschool
- Leader, Award-winning Katrina Relief program
- Strategic Vision: The Board must take the lead in developing our new, comprehensive Strategic Plan.
- Collaborative Culture: We cannot sustain excellence without cooperation and trust at all levels.
- Great Education: I want all kids to be curious and excited about learning for the rest of their lives.
- Occupation: Incumbent
- President: Palo Alto Unified School District Board of Education
- Attorney: Experience in employment, family, contracts, and privacy law.
- Teacher: Purdue University, Krannert School of Management, Business Law Faculty for five years.
- Education Leader: Awarded the Palo Alto Council of PTA's 2003 Leadership in Legislative Advocacy Award.
- J.D. - Loyola University of Chicago, M.S. - American University, B.A. - University of Wisconsin Madison
- Sustain and improve academic excellence, taught by quality teachers.
- Provide leadership and experience in budgeting, state government relations, and District staffing.
- Provide a path for success for all students of all abilities.
- Occupation: Director of Communication
- MA, Stanford, BS Northwestern
- 20+ year communication professional, currently with Public Advocates
- Former Chair, Palo Alto Human Relations Commission, board member PACCC, Palo Alto Little League
- Youth baseball manager, basketball coach, soccer referee
- District parent of 8th and 5th graders, 24 years in Palo Alto
- Support academic and enrichment programs benefiting all students based on their needs, including those in the "forgotten middle."
- Make decisions based on long-term planning and strategic priorities, emphasizing financial stability and oversight.
- Take a lead role in seeing that the social and emotional well-being of students, teachers and administrators are given much-needed attention.
- Occupation: High-Tech Executive
- 25 years of experience in Silicon Valley companies such as Intel, Adobe and start-ups, mostly at the Director and VP level
- Strong financial expertise as a former Financial Analyst and Budget & Planning Manager
- BS, MSEE, Harvard MBA, Philosophy classes at Stanford
- Many PTA positions, including Director of Education and Treasurer of the Palo Alto Council of PTAs, and School Board Observer
- Member of the Steering Committee for Measure A, the school parcel tax
- 16-year resident of Palo Alto. My three daughters attend the school district
- Provide a world-class education to compete in the global economy. Expand the teaching of foreign languages to 6th grade and elementary school.
- Encourage the Board to operate more at the leadership and policy level, and focus less on operational details. Be fiscally conservative.
- Address urgent issues such as enrollment growth and facilities planning. Focus on the whole child. Attend to students' health & wellness.
- Occupation: Free Lance Writer
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidates Answer Questions|
The the League of Women Voters of Palo Alto has asked
all candidates for this office to respond to
3 questions on Problems, Communication, and Achievement.
- Campaign Finance Filings
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.