(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: U.S. Representative
- Ranking Member, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Former Deputy Secretary to the Cabinet, Carter Administration
- Former Special Counsel to the Dept. of Defense
- B.A. in Government, Smith College
- J.D., Harvard Law School
- Four Children; Daniel Guy (23), Justine (21), Hilary (30), and Brian(32)
- Proud to be pro-choice and pro-working family.
- Protect the environment, better education, and make healthcare accessible for all. Protect retirement, and seniors.
- Support our troops, end the failed strategy in Iraq, and make our nation secure while protecting our civil liberties.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Retired Engineer
- 27 years at Hughes Space and Communications Group / Boeing Satellite Devopment Center designing and building electronics for communications satellites
- MS (1974), PhD (1978) physics, University of Illinois
- BS physics, California Institute of Technology, 1973
- Currently enrolled Trinity Law School, Santa Ana
- Born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa. Lived in South Bay since 1978, El Segundo since 1990
- Married (Patricia, "Pat," 1973) with a son, John (20, student at El Camino), and a daughter, Katie (18, student at Univ. of Colorado)
James R. "Jim" Smith
- Immigration -- Increase Legal Immigration * Secure Our Borders: "The Fence," Hi-Tech Surveillance, Increased Border Patrol
- Fiscal Responsibility -- $8.3T & getting worse. Don't Drown our Children in Debt
- Tariffs for China -- Sending $200B/year in jobs and industry to the government that brought us Tiananmen Square is bad policy
- Party: Peace and Freedom
- Occupation: Educator/Writer
- Teacher/co-founder, University of Venice
- Writer, Venice Beachhead newspaper
- Board, SoCal Americans for Democratic Action (ADA)
- Treasurer, Venice Neighborhood Council, 2003-05
- Communications Director, Calif. Faculty Assn. 1997-2002
- M.A., Sociology - Cal State, Northridege
- Save the Environment - Stop Global Warming
- Out of Iraq Now
- Guarantee quality health care, education, housing, equality & jobs for All
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Author
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
U.S. House of Representatives
Candidates Forum -- Sunday, October 22nd
Campaign Finance Data
- 1:30 to 4:00 -- Congressional, State Senate, and Assembly races (Congressional candidates starting at 2:50).
- 3330 Civic Center Drive (George Nakano Theatre), Torrance
- sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Torrance and the Beach Cities
Capitol Advantage (Yahoo News)
- About the Candidates
- Browse the page to find the line(s) for US House 36. Then find Biography, Campaign Finances, Issue Positions (NPAT), Special Interest Groups, and Voting Record where available.
- Key Votes in Congress
- Enter your zip and see how your U.S. Senators and Congressional Representative voted on many key issues
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.