(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: State Senator
- Chair, Senate Elections and Reapportionment Committee
- State Assemblymember 1992-1998
- Ensure our voting systems are accurate and secure by introducing strict auditing requirements so that every vote is counted as it was cast.
- Improve disclosure of campaign contributions to candidates and ballot initiatives so people can easily track how the money flows in politics.
- Register every eligible voter, encourage every voter to participate on Election Day and ensure that every vote is counted accurately.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Appointed Secretary of State
- Served in the California State Legislature for 11 years
- While in the Assembly Served as the Chair of the Elections and Reapportionment Committee
- Editor of the Santa Cruz Sentinel from 1967-1992
- Graduated from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Protecting the Integrity of Every Vote
- Making the campaign reporting process efficient and transparent
- Processing California Business claims in an effcient manner
- Party: Green
- Occupation: Financial Advisor
- Ph.D. from MIT in Biological Oceanography
- Former research scientist, Institute of Theoretical Dynamics at UC Davis
- Developer of salmon recovery models for the California Department of Fish and Game, the Sonoma County Water Agency, and the Nez Pearce Indians
- Specialize in Socially Responsible Investing using investments for economic, social, and environmental transformation
- Published author of articles on voting systems and election reform
- Former member of the United Transpiration Union
Gail K. Lightfoot
- Ensuring our voting systems are accurate, accessible, and produce a voter verified paper ballot
- Ending corporate control of political campaigns through Clean Money legislation
- Increasing political diversity through Instant Runoff Voting and proportional voting
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Retired Nurse
- Education: Nursing, Early Childhood Education
- Chair, Libertarian Party of California, 1990, 1995-96
- Native Californian, 7 years in Kodiak, Alaska (1945-1952)
- RN, Public Health Nurse
- Local Chapter President, American Assoc. Critical Care Nurses, 1975
- ICU-CCU, ER, IV, MICU certificated
Glenn McMillon, Jr.
- Increase voter awareness of choices - Fully Inform Voters with easy to understand and complete voting materials
- None of the Above option in all elections and Instant Runoff voting in partisan elections.
- Provide easy access to State Archives and Library [at no cost] to promote literacy
- Party: American Independent
- Occupation: Small Business Owner
- Graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Former Tresurer of MIT Pro-Life Organization
- Twenty-one year California resident; attended California public schools
- Prevent election fraud by requiring photo ID and proof of citizenship to register and to cast a vote
- Reqiure electronic voting machines to print paper readouts for voters and elections officials
- Increase exposure of small parties and allow ranked-choice/instant-runoff voting.
- Party: Peace and Freedom
- Occupation: Archaeologist/Medical Anthropologist
- Dr. Akin has lived in California since 1960. She attended California public schools.
- Dr. Akin received her Ph.D. in Anthropology in 1992. She worked her way through school with 4 children.
- Dr. Akin's first political activity was on behalf of the Farmworkers Union in 1965, She helped organize local demonstrations against the Vietnam War,
- She was President of Riverside Federation of Teachers and Trustee of the Central Labor Council in the 1980s
- In 1999 Margie began pioneering work in Medical Anthropology focused on providing better service to immigrants and cultural minorities in California.
- She has years of experience working to provide broader access to health care for linguistic and cultural minorities
- Corrupt voting machine corporations have too much influence, excessive purging of voter rolls has disenfranchised hundreds of thousands of voters
- Business Records and Registration: Difficult procedures should be simplified and basic help for businessess should be provided in English and Spanish
- A special program is needed to pull together records in the State Archives relating to Native American Indians and other under-represented communities
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Easy Voter Guide
Statements and Interviews
- Video Voter
- Select "Secy of State", then candidate name to see a statement by Akin, Bowen, Hill, Lightfoot, McPherson. Produced by Center for Governmental Studies. (2 min. each)
- Free AirTime Project
- Select "Secy of State" then candidate name to see interviews of Akin, Bowen, Hill, Lightfoot, McPherson. Requires Adobe Flash and Windows Media Player. Produced by the California Channel. (30 min. each)
Secretary of State
Campaign Finance Data
Secretary of State
Around the Capitol
News and Analysis
CBS5.com, SF Bay Area
Google News Search
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.