A focus for ongoing improvement in instruction, staffing, facilities and finance
A CONTINUING AGENDA for EXCELLENCE
- Create a clear and unified vision for progress.
- Set measurable goals for all and support all in achieving them.
- Emphasize high performance standards; expect and reward excellence.
- Communicate openly, honestly and often.
- Listen well; act to solve problems promptly.
- Involve stakeholder groups in all key decision making.
- Oversee and safeguard a culture of integrity, respect and fair play.
- Encourage innovation, reward excellence, celebrate success.
Parents & Community:
- Keep competitive salaries a financial priority. (Hiring and retaining a quality staff is vital to learning. California will experience a shortage of 300,000 teachers within the next decade.)
- Keep knowledge current through ongoing staff development.
- Continue to encourage and support collaborative planning.
- Improve administration-to-staff communication.
- Evaluate performance often through formal and informal assessments.
- Welcome and involve parents as educational partners.
- Communicate clearly and often.
- Team up with government and business on projects that advance school/district goals.
- Improve outreach to ethnic minority and limited English speaking communities.
- Welcome the community to witness bond accomplishments.
- Maintain a balanced budget.
- Ensure adequate reserves for financial uncertainties.
- Wherever possible, tie expenditures to educational goals.
- Continue legislative advocacy efforts (construction bonds, equalization and special education funding).
Curriculum & Instruction:
- Plan and build needed new classrooms/schools on a timetable ahead of development.
- Maximize local bond money through state matching funds and enhanced developer fees.
- Plan and build efficiently to minimize changes and maximize money.
- Maintain facilities in a manor that lengthens their lifespan.
Student, School, Community & Career Success:
- Ensure that continuing academic improvement remains an overarching goal.
- Stay current with research on teaching and learning.
- Regularly analyze programs and test data to refine/realign curriculum and instruction.
- Visit other high-performing schools/districts and bring back ideas for improvement.
- Broaden and strengthen the curriculum to provide appropriate challenge for all.
- Develop clear plans for GATE K-8 and BOHS AP improvement.
- Enhance academic offerings to keep more high-achieving students in Brea.
- Expand instruction in the arts.
- Expand use of technology for academic enrichment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -FOCAL POINTS FOR THE FUTURE:- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Provide instruction that appropriately prepares students for course progress, and standardized testing (High School Exit Exam, SAT and AP), college and career success.
- Continue to emphasize character development through the SAFE (drug resistance) and Asset Building programs.
- Modify high school requirements to add service learning (structured community service, including learning and reflection).
- Welcome all to participate in diverse extracurricular opportunities.
- Continue research and enhance practices to help serve students at risk.
- Academic Achievement: High standards for success must be upheld. In today's complex world, our students need to know more.
- Personnel: We must attract and retain quality teachers, administrators and support staff, and provide frequent opportunities for professional growth.
- Curriculum: We must provide a course of study that is well-balanced, up-to-date and challenging to all students at all grade levels.
- Opportunity: We must dedicate ourselves to providing strengthened support for students at risk.
- Teamwork: We must support, at every grade level, the vital involvement of parents, and foster strong, cooperative relationships between school and home.
- Learning Environment: We must ensure adequate space for all students in schools that are safe, clean, orderly and inviting places to learn.
- Financial Security: Balanced budgets and prudent reserves are essential to the long-term stability of our schools.
- Outreach: We must expand our knowledge and enhance our opportunities through partnerships with government, business and industry.
- Ethics: We must live by our commitment to cultural values and personal integrity. To work well, we must model honor and inspire trust.
- Respect: We must reach out to realize and reaffirm Brea Olinda's role as one of California's finest school districts.