(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: School Board Director
- Chief Financial Officer and CPA
- MBA and Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from U.C. Berkeley
- Mother of two - Berkeley High Class of '07 & '04
- Past President and Vice President Berkeley School Board, Executive Committee Alameda County School Board Association
- Former Chair BSEP Planning and Oversight Committee, Former Vice Chair BerkeleyUnified School District Citizen's Budget & Finance Advisory Committee
- Executive programs in leadership and negotiation at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government, CSBA's Masters in Governance Program.
Karen (Johnson) Hemphill
- Establishing and maintaining financial integrity while bolstering an open and transparent budget process that reflects community priorities.
- Continuing to hold the administration accountable for implementation of rigorous measurable student achievement plans.
- Providing resources for professional & curriculum development and for program evaluation.
- Occupation: Public Administrator/Parent
- BSEP "Yes on Measure A" Steering Committee - current
- Co-President, Berkeley High PTSA - 2005/06
- Longfellow School Governance Committee: 2002-2004
- Washington Elementary School Site Council: 1998-2004
- Berkeley Schools Excellence (BSEP) Planning and Oversight Committee: 1996-98
- Graduate of Brown Univesity and U.C. Berkeley
- Creation of a District-wide academic achievement plan to address the needs of all students - including struggling, average, and gifted students.
- Institutionalizing an open/inclusive District that stresses 2-way communication with the community on District programs, finances, and other issues.
- Deepening partnerships with other public agencies, non-profits, and others to maximize our resources to support our student's success.
- Occupation: School Director/ Psychotherapist
- University of California Berkeley, BA History, 1966
- Smith College School for Social Work, MSW, 1970
- Masterson Insititue of Postgratuate Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, 1991; Masters in Governance California School Board Association, 2006
- Past President, Berkeley School Board; Board Audit & Policy Committee; Mayor's Task Force on Health; Youth Court Advisory Board
- Berkeley High Development Group; Measure A, AA & BB Campaign Committee; BSEP P&O; Beth El Homeless Meal Program, Founding Director
- Director, Alameda County School Board; Founding Member Berkeley Therapy Institute; Author & Instructor
- Improve student achievement through quality professional development.
- Provide comprehensive supports for students facing barriers to learning.
- Maintain fiscal stability and continue administrative improvements
- Occupation: Professor, Department Chair
- 22 years in higher education
- Author of three books: Drug Hate and the Corruption of American Politics, The Question of Privacy in Public Policy, Knowledge is Power
- Two children in Berkeley public schools
- Doctorate in Public Administration, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
- Juris Doctorate
Norma Jean (Fox) Harrison
- Create a valid registration/verification process so Berkeley schools serve Berkeley kids
- End the fixed lottery at Berkeley High
- Schools should be better neighbors with uplifting grounds and accessible facilities
- Occupation: Teacher, Realtor
- Long-time political activist
- Let people say that school is not a nice institution, that age segregation only serves capitalism.
- 'Embed' a body into the local system that permits recognition of the role of jobs, also not nice, and the usual oppressive ruling constructs.
- Enable planning to change the system so it feels good, instead of is punishing.
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
League of Women Voters Candidate Forum
News and Analysis
Contra Costa Times
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.