(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Parent/Realtor/Athlete
- Professional Triathlete for 17 years, Triathlete of the Year twice, 4 Time National Champion, 2nd in the Hawaii Ironman 1988
- Realtor with Coldwell Banker Cutten Realty 3 years, top 20 selling agent
- Board Member of the Humboldt Kids Triathlon, Vice President
- Married for 15 years,Father of two currently enrolled at Jacoby Creek School
- Attended and Graduated the College of the Redwoods with an A.A. Degree
- Very involved in promoting fitness in health, I have spoke to most of the schools in Humboldt County about Health and Fitness
- To keep a balanced budget, make decisions that provide the best enviroment and education for our children
- One of my main goals is to be a good listener.
- No Political ties or agendas except to make good high schools even better.
- Occupation: Retired educator/Learn to Earn Administrator
- St. Joseph Hospital Board
- HSU board
- Outstanding administrator award
- Life-long resident
- Rotary club of Arcata
- Advocate for children and schools
- See that the schools are well managed and not to manage the schools
- Keep the focus on the best interests of students
- Occupation: Student, Writer/Co-Editor
- Born & Raised in Humboldt County
- Student Body President (Sunny Brae Middle School)
- Former Arcata High Student
- Battleground State Campaign Team (election 2004)
- US delegate to the World Festival of Youth & Students (Summmer 2005)
- History Major (currently attending College of the Redwoods)
- Create school board accessibility for and accountability to parents, teachers, & students.
- Limit military recruiters' access to local campuses as fully as possible within existing law.
- Ensure students' access to comprehensive sexual education and life skills.
- Occupation: Businessman
- Humboldt County native and married father of three
- Business founder and owner
- Community volunteer, sponsor, donor
- Past President and current member of the Sunrise Rotary Club of Arcata
- Member of the HSU Advancement Foundation Board
- Member of the Umpqua Divisional Board
- Keep the best interest of the students as the number one priority, while maintaining financial sustainability in the district
- Enrich academic and extracurricular programs
- Critically evaluate issues and concerns in order to create action and improvement
- Occupation: Retired
- Vice-President, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare
- Hospital Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Health Services
- BA in Political Science, Occidental College
- Master of Science.Public Health, UCLA
Rebecca Bair "Becky" Kurwitz
- Creating a strategic plan to cope with the effects of a predicted declining enrollment
- Preparing students for a rapidly changing world by linking the development of critical thinking, personal ethics, and civic responsibility
- Maximizing transparency, trust, dialogue, and collaboration between board, teachers, parents, and students
- Occupation: Money Manager
- Past AFSME Board Member
- Past President, Mad River Youth Football
- Graduate, Arcata High School class of 1958
- Mother of 6, Grandmother of 13
- Retired County of Humboldt Hearing Representative
Stephen J Cole
- Comprehensive sex education
- Exploration of the legal limitations that can be placed on military recruiters access to students, improving communication to parents about opting out
- Improving nutritional choices on both campuses
- Occupation: Engineer
- I am a longtime resident of Arcata who wishes to make a positive contribution to our high school students. Please log onto my web site to learn more
- about me and why I am running for the high school board.
- preparing our high schools for declining enrollment
- opening up the world to high school students
- providing a variety of educational experiences to high school students
- Occupation: Business Owner
- Past Pacific Union School Board Member
- Served on Arcata Economic Development Corp. as Board Member and past President, also served on AEDC Loan Committee
- Married 21 years, 2 teenage daughters
- Previous Soccer Coach 11 years
- Longtime Arcata Resident, AHS Alumni
- 6 Years Previous Safe &Sober Volunteer
- To assure the preparation of all students for the basic knowledge of lifeskills, regardless of future education.
- To promote a safe, healthy, unpressured environment for all students.
- To make fair board decisions, involving the teachers and communities input with the bottom line being not to forget about the students.
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.