Upon tribe's request, should the Governor be required to execute a 99-year compact?
Tribes contribute percentage of net gaming income to state
funds, in exchange for expanded, exclusive tribal casino gaming.
- Upon request by federally-recognized Indian tribe, Governor must execute renewable 99-year gaming compact.
- Grants exclusive tribal gaming rights; no limits on number of machines, facilities, types of games on Indian land.
- Tribes contribute percentage of net gaming income, based on prevailing state corporate tax rate, to state fund.
- Contributions cease if non-tribal casino-type gaming is permitted.
- Contributions are in lieu of any other fees, taxes, levies.
- Requires off-reservation impact assessments, public notice/comment opportunities before significant expansion or construction of gaming facilities.
Unknown effect on payments to the state
from Indian tribes. The potential increase or decrease in these
payments could be in the tens of millions to over a hundred million
- A YES vote of this measure means:
- Tribes entering a new
or amended tribal-state gambling
compact would make
payments to the state based
on their gambling income.
These compacts would last
99 years and place no limits
on the types or number of
- A NO vote of this measure means:
- Tribes would continue
to be subject to existing tribalstate
gambling compacts, which
require various types of payments
to the state. Existing
compacts will last up to 26 more
years and place some limits
on the types and number of
- Summary of Arguments FOR Proposition 70:
- Proposition 70 will provide
billions of dollars to the State
and will restrict tribal gambling
to Indian reservations.
Both the taxpayers and
Indians win: Tribes pay the
same amount as every other
business pays in state income
taxes; in return, they can
operate their casinos. That's
Full Text of Argument In Favor
- Summary of Arguments AGAINST Proposition 70:
- PROPOSITION 70 IS A BAD
DEAL FOR CALIFORNIA.
negotiated agreements with
Indian gaming tribes guarantee
they pay their fair share
and respect California laws.
Proposition 70 effectively destroys
these agreements. Join Governor
Schwarzenegger, law enforcement,
groups, and seniors in voting
NO on Proposition 70.
Full Text of Argument Against
- Contact FOR Proposition 70:
- Gene Raper
Citizens for a Fair Share of Indian Gaming Revenues
P.O. Box 1863
Sacramento, CA 95812
- Contact AGAINST Proposition 70:
- No on Propositions 68 and 70-Governor Schwarzenegger's Committee for Fair Share Gaming Agreements
1415 L Street, Suite 1245
Sacramento, CA 95814
Secretary of State
Campaign Finance Information
Legislative Analysts's Office
Easy Voter Guide
League of Women Voters - Analysis
League of Women Voters - Background
LWV Pros & Cons Public Meetings
News and Analysis
- Come to a meeting in your community where League experts discuss all state ballot propositions giving a nonpartisan analysis. Consult your Smart Voter county page for dates, times and locations.
LA36 (Los Angeles Cable TV)
Google News Search
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- Voter Minute
- a video guide (with transcript) to help you decide (Windows Media Player; opens in new window)