(Vote for 4)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: Incumbent
- Mayor, 2003
- Owner and Operator Emily's Bakery
- Santa Cruz Metro Transit District, Board Chair
- Regional Transportation Commission
- Blue Ribbon Panel for School Closure Strategies
- Founding Member of Sister Cities Network for Sustainable Development
- Support regional planning and careful growth. Support funding for social service programs
- Advocate community participation in public decision making.
- Pursue sustainable, long-range transportation. Promote development of affordable housing
- Occupation: Bookseller/University Lecturer
- Boardmember, Santa Cruz Community Credit Union
- Second Generation Owner, Bookshop Santa Cruz
- Boardmember, Dientes Dental Care
- Legal Studies Lecturer at UCSC
- Boardmember, Locally Owned Business Alliance
- Long Term Planning for a Sustainable Community
- Promotion of Locally Owned Business
- Protection of Our Environment
- Occupation: Union Representative/Community Organizer
- B.A. Economics, UC Santa Cruz, 1998
- Board Member, Citizen's Police Review Board, City of Santa Cruz
- Commissioner, Latino Affairs Commission, County of Santa Cruz
- Board Member, Neary Lagoon Cooperative, a low income housing community
- Delegate, Monterey Bay Central Labor Council
- Financial sponsor, Beach Flats Soccer program which serves children and adults in the Beach Flats community at no cost
- Economic Development
- Increase Affordable housing
- Create qualit y local jobs
- Occupation: Councilmember/Santa Cruz Teacher
- Teacher at Santa Cruz High School since 1980
- Previous City Commissions: Planning, Zoning, Transportation, Public Works
- 2 terms Santa Cruz County Democratic Central Committee
- Senior Engineer at Lockheed 1968-1980
- Current Commercial Pilot and Certified Flight Instructor
- Electronic Engineering Degree
- Fiscal health and responsibility ; stabilize City Budget
- City Road maintenance and transportation, people mover to UCSC Campus
- An honest appraisal of impact of UCSC growth and needed mitigations
- Occupation: City Councilmember; staff member ResourceCtr for Nonviolence
- B.A. UCSC 1971 (College Honors; History Honors)
- Co-Founder Resource Center for Nonviolence 1976
- Elected to Santa Cruz City Council 1990, 1994 & 2000
- Mayor 1993-1994 and 2003-2004
- Regional Transportation Commission "Commissioner of the Year"
- United Way "Community Hero" (2001); Chamber of Commerce "Man of the Year" (1998)
- Dealing responsibly with the ongoing budget crisis
- Promoting jobs & economic development to strengthen City's tax base and revenue
- Creating affordable housing & strengthening human services
- Occupation: Incumbent
- Current Santa Cruz City Councilmember
- 11-year member of the Santa Cruz Zoning Board and 5 years as Chair
- Launched Greenbelt protection with Campaign to Save Pogonip in 1977
- Awarded Distinguished Artist of the Year for 2000 by the Santa Cruz Art League
- Married for 21years with two children in public schools
- Affordable Housing
- A sustainable economy
- Sound planning for balanced growth
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
News and Analysis
- Televised rebroadcasts of candidate forums on Comcast 25/Charter 71.
- Progressive forum: Sunday, October 24, 10 p.m.
Neighbors Association forum: Tuesday, October 26, 7 p.m. and Thursday, October 28, 7 p.m.
Housing Advocates forum: Sunday, October 24, 4 p.m. and Wednesday, October 27, 6 p.m.
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.