(Vote for 4)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Manuel "Manny" Hernandez
- Occupation: Incumbent
- B.A. , University of California, Berkeley
- M.A., California State University, Sacramento
- Community Development Block Grant Commissioner for Sascramento County 1985 to 1986
- Sacramento City Civil Service Commissioner and Chairperson 1991 to 1997
- Board Member, California Human Development Corporation 1993 to 1996
- Board Member, La Familia Counseling Center, Inc., 2002 to present
- Improve student learning
- Attract and retain high quality teachers
- Assure students have quality textbooks
- Occupation: Incumbent
- Married 35 years, 3 married sons (Sac City grads), 3 grandchildren; Community volunteer, 28 years
- UC Berkeley graduate, 1968; Awarded National Congress of Parents and Teachers Honorary Life Membership; Past Board President
- Earned CSBA Master of Boardmanship; Advisor, Juveniles at Risk; Liaison, District Student Advisory Council
- Co-Founder of nationally acclaimed Parents on Campus; Champion, shared decision-making & high school reform
- Member, Govenor Arnold Schwarzenegger's Education Advisory Committee & Metro Chamber Ed Committee
- Recognized for "devoted and distinguished services to children and youth" and as a "champion fighter for youth at risk"
Rick Jennings, II
Miguel E. Navarrette
- Provide all students with a relevant education that meets their diverse learning styles and individual needs; hold everyone accountable for results
- Attract, retain and support qualified employees; provide competitive compensation packages within a fiscally sound, balanced budget
- Provide a performance-driven, data-based learning environment that is safe, modern and inviting for students, staff, families and community partners
- Occupation: State Department Educator
- M.A., Educational Administration, CSU, Sacramento
- Current employment: CA Dept. of Education, Program/Compliance Officer
- Previous: teacher, principal, & Associate Professor, University of the Pacific
- Membership/officeholder in educational associations: Assoc. of CA School Administrators, CA Assoc. of Bilingual Educators, CSUS Hispanic Alumni Club
- Officer, School PTA
- 30-year Sacramento resident. Active in many school district, professional, & community organizations
- As an experienced educator, will ensure fiscal responsibility. I know how the system should work and will strive to make it work efficiently.
- As a program/compliance officer, I know the importance of district budgets going directly to school sites and students--making every dollar count.
- As a passionate believer in great schools, will ensure that every student has qualified teachers, current textbooks, technological/voc. pgm. access.
- Occupation: Executive Director/Parent
- Executive Director of the California Alliance Against Domestic Violence
- Attorney General's Task Force on Domestic Violence
- Former Board Member, Arizona Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Former Social Worker, experienced in working with foster children, at risk students, and economically disadvantaged families
- Parent of a SCUSD student
- BA & MA degrees
- I will work to direct more money into the classroom to provide resources for students and teachers instead of administrators.
- I will ensure that our schools prepare our children for their future... including vocational training and college.
- I will protect funding for after school programs providing alternatives to gangs, drugs and violence.
- Occupation: Education Policy Advisor
- Occupation: Educator/Businessman
- Occupation: Data Processing Analyst
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.|