This is an archive of a past election.|
See http://www.smartvoter.org/ca/or/ for current information.
League of Women Voters of California Education Fund
Political Philosophy for James Vanderbilt-Linares
Freedom for all of us depends on responsibility by each of us:
· I believe we must be fully responsible for our own actions and for the consequences of those actions. Freedom to choose carries with it the responsibility for our choices.
· I believe we must respect and obey laws. Laws are mutually accepted rules by which, together, we maintain a free society. Liberty itself is built on a foundation of law. That foundation provides an orderly process for changing laws. It also depends on our obeying laws once they have been freely adopted.
· I respect the property of others, both private and public. No one has the right to what is not his or hers. The right to enjoy what is ours depends on our respecting the right of others to enjoy what is theirs.
· I share with others our appreciation of the benefits and obligations of freedom. Freedom shared is freedom strengthened.
· To help freedom survive, I have assumed personal responsibility for its defense as a member of the military. Our nation cannot survive unless we defend it. Its security rests on the individual determination of each of us to help preserve it.
· I believe in doing our best to meet our own and our families' needs. There is no personal freedom without economic freedom. By helping ourselves and those closest to us to become productive members of society, we contribute to the strength of the nation.
· I uphold the importance of participating constructively in the nation's political life. Democracy depends on an active citizenry. It depends equally on an informed citizenry. It is with this philosophy in mind that I present the preceding statements.
This political philosophy was adapted from the Bill of Responsibilities, by the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge.
|| Feedback to Candidate
|| This Contest
November 2004 Home (Ballot Lookup) || About Smart Voter