(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: California Deputy Attorney General
- Graduate, Stanford Law School
- Over 10 years experience as civil and criminal prosecutor
- Experienced criminal prosecutor in state and federal courts
- Supported by law enforcement and Sheriff Lee Baca
- Endorsed by Attorney General Bill Lockyer
- Past Mayor, City of Glendale
- Public safety
- Efficient administration of justice
- Treating jurors and trial participants with dignity and respect
- Occupation: Criminal Prosecutor
- Deputy District Attorney, 15 years
- McGeorge School of Law, LMU undergrad
- Hardcore Gang, Family Violence Prosecutor
- Memberships: LA County Bar; American Inns of Court
Jeffrey S. Gootman
- To maintain the highest standards of integrity and fairness
- To treat all parties who appear before me with dignity and respect
- To make informed decisions based on California and federal law
- Occupation: Deputy District Attorney
- Criminal prosecutor for over 19 years. Prosecuted gang members and Major narcotics trafficers.
- Endorsed By District Attorney Steve Cooley Endorsed by the Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs (ALADS)
- Has Appellate criminal and civil experience. Prosecuted Special Circunmstance Murder cases at BOTH the trial level and at the Appellate level
- Created a computerized legal database with over 32000 entries, All Supreme Court and Court of Appeal Decisions since 1985 summarized
- Authered and published training material for Police Officers and Prosecutors.
- Rated WELL QUALIFIED by the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Judicial Evaluation Committee their highest rating.
Larry H. Layton
- To be fair, decisive, to punish the guilty while respecting the rights of victims.
- To be decisive, using common sense in the courtroom.
- Long prison sentences for violent and repeat offenders.
- Occupation: Law School Professor
- Bachelor of Science in Law, 1973
- Juris Doctor, 1974
- Author of Larry Layton Legal Aids
- Dean, Larry H. Layton School of Law
- past experience as Temporary Judge
- past experience as Court Arbitrator
- My number one priority is to provide competent, fair rulings
- Another priority is to administer the court with promptness
- All citizens will be treated with fairness and respect
- Occupation: Criminal Prosecutor/Instructor
- Hardcore Gang Prosecutor, 8 1/2 years
- Environmental Crimes prosecutor, 4 years
- Presently responsible for legal training of prosecutors and police officers
- Instructor, East Los Angeles Community College
- B.A., Indiana University
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law
C. Edward Mack
- Serve the public by acting with honesty, integrity and honesty
- Insure the integrity of the judicial system
- Apply a common sense approach to judicial proceedings
- Occupation: Trial Attorney
- 18 years of legal experience, 5 Civil, 13 Criminal
- Tried over 100 jury trials
- Veteran of the U.S. Air Force
- Winner of American Jurisprudence Family Law Book Award & Recipient of 2003 Melvin N. Cody Encouragement Award
- Former President-Elect of the CA Assoc. of Black Lawyers (CABL)
- President of the Afro American Film Institute
- Equity for all litigants, no matter what background, creed or disability
- Court budget, cutbacks, closed courtrooms and layoffs of court employees
- Stopping gang killings, violence and other gang crimes
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidates Answer Questions|
The League of Women Voters of Los Angeles County, an Inter-League Organization (ILO). has asked
all candidates for this office to respond to
2 questions on Reason for Running and Personal Qualities.
League of Women Voters Candidate Forum (all L.A. County Judicial Candidates invited to participate)
- State of California Commission on Judicial Performance
Bar Association Resources
- February 15, 2004, 2:30-4:30pm
- West Covina City Council Chambers, 1444 W. Garvey South; Co-Sponsors, LWV Whittier, ESGV, & L.A. County; info 562 947 3634
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- Final Report of the L.A. County Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Committee
- California Bar Attorney Search