This is an archive of a past election.|
See http://www.smartvoter.org/ca/alm/ for current information.
League of Women Voters of California Education Fund
Medical Sales Tax
2/3rds Approval Required
214,449 / 71.1% Yes votes ...... 87,315 / 28.9% No votes
Index of all Measures
|Results as of May 4 2:39pm, 100.0% of Precincts Reporting (1,096/1,096)|
|Information shown below: Impartial Analysis | Arguments ||
To provide and maintain trauma and emergency medical services throughout Alameda County and to provide primary, preventative and mental health services to indigent, low income and uninsured children, families and seniors, to retain qualified nurses and health care professionals and to prevent closure of county clinics and the Alameda County Medical Center, shall Alameda County implement a half-cent transaction and use tax, with an annual fiscal oversight and review?
The County has the authority to levy this transactions and use tax in accordance with Part 1.6 (commencing with Section 7251) of Division 2 and Section 7285.5 of Part 1.7 of Division 2 of the California Revenue and Taxation Code. If approved, proceeds from this tax would be collected by the California State Board of Equalization and deposited in the County Treasury in a special fund entitled the "Essential Health Care Services Tax Fund" (hereinafter, the "Fund").
Seventy-five percent (75%) of the monies deposited into the Fund will be used by the Alameda County Medical Center ("ACMC"); proceeds from this tax may not be used to replace funding currently provided by the County to ACMC. The remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of the monies deposited into the Fund will be allocated by the County Board of Supervisors based on demonstrated needs and the County's commitment to a geographically dispersed network of health care providers for any of the following purposes: (a) critical medical services provided by community-based health care providers; (b) to partially offset uncompensated costs for emergency care and related hospital admissions; and (c) for essential public health, mental health and substance abuse services.
If two-thirds of the qualified electors voting on this measure vote "yes," the tax will be imposed at a rate of onehalf of one percent (0.5%) on sales and use of tangible personal property in a fashion similar to and in addition to the existing sales and use tax.
If less than two-thirds of the qualified electors vote for approval of this measure, it will fail and the proposed transactions and use tax will not be levied within the County.
s/RICHARD E. WINNIE
|Arguments For Measure A||Arguments Against Measure A|
|Alameda County's Healthcare system is in crisis. As more
residents lose their jobs and their health insurance, uninsured
children and families use emergency rooms for primary
medical care. Emergency rooms at all Alameda
County hospitals are severely overcrowded. This affects
us all and the quality of emergency services we receive.
The rapidly growing number of uninsured patients combined with significant reductions in state and federal funding has reduced the availability of quality healthcare throughout Alameda County.
Without additional revenue, County clinics serving lowincome children and families will close, trauma and emergency services will be reduced, psychiatric and mental health services will be cut.
Measure A would implement a temporary half-cent sales tax to avoid drastic cuts to local hospitals and clinics and insure access to quality healthcare for all Alameda County residents. Specifically, Measure A will provide critical support to:
Alameda Contra Costa Medical Association
Alameda County and its Healthcare System are neither terminal nor on life-support.
|Every government agency wants more funds to do the job
right: firefighters, schools, police, hospitals - they never
s/LANCE MONTAUK, M.D.
s/CONRAD E. ANDERSON, M.D.,Member,