(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: Businessman and Rancher
- California's first elected Insurance Commissioner, 1991-1995
- Deputy Secretary US Department of Interior, Washington DC, 1995-1998
- Elected to the California State Senate 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988
- Elected to the California Assembly, 1974
- US Peace Corps volunteer in Ethiopia, 1966 - 1968
- MBA, Harvard Business School
Gary S. Mendoza
- I will REBUILD and RESTORE INTEGRITY to the Department of Insurance. Disgraced Commissioner Chuck Quackenbush destroyed the department I built.
- I FOUGHT the insurance companies and WON Prop 103 ROLLBACKS and DELIVERED nearly $1 BILLION of premium REBATES to California consumers.
- I will PROTECT California CONSUMERS and make sure CONSUMERS needs ALWAYS COME FIRST; FIGHT INSURANCE FRAUD which drives up all of our premium rates.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Businessman
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A.
- Yale Law School, J.D.
- Former Commissioner of Corporations
- Former Los Angeles Deputy Mayor for Economic Development
- State Co-Chair for Bush for President 2000
David I. Sheidlower
- Increasing the availability and affordability of home, health and auto insurance
- Fighting insurance fraud
- Restoring competence and integrity to the office of Insurance Commissioner
- Party: Green
- Occupation: Underwriting Systems Director
- 14 year's non-profit health care experience
- 9 years experience in risk based analysis and ratesetting
Dale F. Ogden
- Universal, single payer health care
- Disaster insurance: either no taxpayer subsidy or entirely government run
- Establish framework for affordable Long Term Care insurance
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Insurance Consultant/Actuary
- Associate Casualty Actuarial Society
- Associate Society of Actuaries
- Member American Academy of Actuaries
- Member International Actuarial Association
- Consultant to California Guaranty Association
- Libertarian 1998 Candidate for Insurance Commissioner
Raul Calderon, Jr.
- Enhance Solvency Regulation to reduce cost of insurance company failures
- Cut administrative bloat to reduce Insurance Department budget by $100 million
- Reform the Conservation and Liquidation Office to save $billions
- Party: Natural Law
- Occupation: Health Researcher/Educator
- Doctoral degree in Health Psychology
- Advanced training in Social and Public Health Issues
- Work for the best interests of the people, not the interests of corporations.
- Effectively assess and evaluate current insurance policies and practices.
- Develop insurance policies to insure that underserved and minority populations have access to affordable insurance.
(This candidate has not responded to Smart Voter)
- Party: American Independent
- Occupation: Businessman
- Phone: 619-444-6166; Addr: 1279 Cresthill Road, El Cajon, CA 92021; Email: email@example.com
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
State of California
Easy Reading Voter Guide
Free Airtime Project
News and Media
- All candidates
- overview of responsibilities, statements of candidates
KQED-FM 88.5 San Francisco Public Radio
Orange County Register
The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa)
San Diego Union Tribune
San Francisco Chronicle
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- See the candidates and issues from the 11/03/1998 election.