(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: California Attorney General
- California State Senate (1982-1998)
- California State Assembly (1973-1981)
- San Leandro School Board (1965-1972)
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley
- J.D., McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific
- Continue to investigate illegal price gouging by Enron and other energy companies and get California's money back.
- Continue to work with local law enforcement to expand use of DNA technology to identify rapists and murderers and exonerate the innocent.
- Continue my office's efforts to prosecute nursing homes that abuse and neglect the elderly.
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: State Senator/Attorney
- Practiced Law for over 34 years
- Former State Assemblymember
- Former City Councilman and Mayor
- Husband, Father, and Grandfather
- J.D. from Hastings School of Law
- B.A. in Mathematics from UC Berkeley
Glen Freeman Mowrer
- Reverse the trend of rising crime rates in California
- Defend our laws such as 3 Strikes and The Pledge of Allegiance, in court
- Protect consumers while making California a more job-friendly state
- Party: Green
- Occupation: Public Pro Bono Defense Attorney
- Director, Legal Project, Committee for Social Justice, Santa Barbara
- Retired Public Defender of Santa Barbara County
- Past President, California Public Defenders Association
- Past President, Santa Barbara Bar Association
- Juris Doctor, University of Southern California Law School
Diane Beall Templin
- Declare Moratorium on the Death Penalty Pending Study to Evaluate its Fairness and Efficacy.
- Establish Commission to Recommend Change in State Corporation Laws to Create Corporate Accountability to the Community.
- Begin In-house Review of All 3-Strikes Convictions for "Cruel and Unusual" Application
- Party: American Independent
- Occupation: Attorney/Businesswoman
- Mother and foster parent of 68
- Licenced in Ca and New York- atty for 27 years
- Founder of Advocate's Legal Services
- Co-founder of Advocate's Ministries
- Resident Manager for shelter- women/children
- work to make California a safer place to live- enforce the law vs. criminals
- provide youths with alternatives to gangs, drugs, alcohol and porn
- restitution and rehabilitation as alternatives to incarceration
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Criminal Defense Attorney
- Founder - California Deuce Defenders
- Member - California Public Defenders Association
- Member - California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Take the War on Drugs out of the criminal justice system and put it in the health care system where it belongs.
- Establish a system of police officer discipline run by the Attorney General's office rather than local government.
- Apply the three-strikes law to only violent felons.
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Secretary of State
Easy Reading Voter Guide
Free Airtime Project
News and Media
- All candidates
- overview of responsibilities, statements of candidates
KQED-FM Forum 88.5 San Francisco
Orange County Register
San Diego Union Tribune
San Francisco Chronicle
San Jose Mercury News
California Voter Foundation
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- See the candidates and issues from the 11/03/1998 election.