(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Barbara A (Filippi) Nunes
- Occupation: Retired Teacher, Principal
- High School Teacher-18 years
- Administrator-19 yrs. (High School Principal-13 yrs.)
- Consultant-Accrediting Comm/State Dept. Of Ed.
- BA & MA in Business San Jose State
- Ad. Inst. San Jose State University
Kathryn P. (Yu) Ho
- Ensuring that our curriculum is standards based to make our students competitive in their post-secondary pursuits.
- Student and parents need help in choosing the best options for post-secondary training to meet individual needs.
- Selecting and retaining good staff is critical. Making solid financial decisions is imperative in these economic times.
- Occupation: Incumbent/High School Counselor
- MA, Marriage, Family and Child Counseling
Avrum "Avie" Katz
- Safeguard the integrity of the current high school attendance boundaries.
- Offer programs to ensure that all students pass the state-mandated high school exit examination.
- Expand efforts to recruit and retain teachers.
- Occupation: Incumbent/Teacher
- Classroom teacher for 30 years
- Created biking program for at-risk teenagers
- Masters Degree in Education from SF State
- Character-based Literacy Training, University of Santa Clara
- It is critical that all of our students pass the mandatory state exit exam that will begin with the class of 2004.
- We must attract, mentor, and retain new teachers who meet the highest standards.
- The District also needs to strengthen its connections to our feeder schools to better meet the needs of our entering students.
- Occupation: Mother of two teenage daughters
- Community Service/Education Volunteer for 15 years
- Northwestern University, B.A. Biology
- FUHSD Principal & Teacher Interview Panel Member
- Founder & Director of Programs at both the Elementary & High School levels
- Experienced Teenage Crisis Intervention Counselor
- Former Director of Vietnamese Refugee Relief Program
- Advocate for excellent & equitable education at all five high schools
- Work to recruit & retain the best quality teachers & support staff
- Prepare students to be successful citizens & highlight valuing the whole child, in addition to academics
- Occupation: Software Engineer
- I am the parent of a student at Fremont HS.
- I am a long time school volunteer.
- I have served on the School Site Council
- I have chaired the District's Community Council
- I am a product of California Schools, with a degree in Math.
- I have lived in the area for 29 years.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Provide a Learning Environment
- Improve School - Parent Communication
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
News and Analysis
- Candidate Forum, Oct. 22, 7-9 p.m., Homestead High School Library, 21370 Homestead Rd (at Mary Ave.)
Sponsored by Homestead H.S. PTSA, Cupertino-Fremont Council of the PTA, AAUW
San Jose Mercury News - Oct. 26
New! League of Women Voters California "Guide to Government"
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.