This information is provided by the candidate
- in the historic excellence of Brea's schools. I'm proud of Brea's strong record of academic achievement, but dedicated never to rest on this success.
- that the district's overarching goal always should be academic improvement. In an increasingly competitive world, our students need to know more and be able to perform better than ever before.
- that all students deserve quality teachers---people who believe in them, who have the skills to help them learn and perform at high levels, and who are knowledgeable and passionate about what they teach. Attracting, supporting and retaining high-quality staff is imperative to our district's success, and should be our first priority.
- that all students deserve a course of study that's challenging, up-to-date and well-balanced, with appropriate extracurricular opportunities. Curricular and instructional improvements must be based on quality research, supported by staff development, and regularly evaluated for effectiveness. Heightened academic challenge must always be balanced by increased staff and student support.
- that the support and involvement of parents is essential to both student and school success.
- that all students deserve adequate space in schools that are safe, clean, orderly and inviting places to learn. I'm committed to modernization and expansion projects which will keep pace with local growth.
- that financial resources must be maximized for the benefit of students, and that balanced budgets and prudent reserves are essential to the long-term stability of our schools.
- that, in the BOUSD, as elsewhere, ethics, respect, fair-play and openness toward all are essential organizational characteristics which must be zealously protected.
- that a school board member must work hard, listen well, understand the issues, make fair and reasoned decisions, and strive always to advance the district's goals.
- in the district's renewed potential for progress under the leadership of new superintendent Tim Harvey, and I'm eager to assist in efforts aimed at enhanced school and student success.