(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Richard A. Johanson
- Occupation: Businessman/Parent
- Chairman of the Board of Johanson Transportation Service, a successful nationwide transportation company, which I founded in 1971.
- Chairman of the Board, Fresno Business Council. President of the Business Council from '95 to '01; Education Committee Chair in '94 & '95.
- Former Board member, Fresno City and County Chamber of Commerce; Chamber President in '91.
- Co-Chair of five School Bond campaigns for Fresno Unified. Chair, FUSD Oversight Committee for Measure K, which voters approved in '01.
- Board of Directors, Fresno Public Education Fund ('93 to present) and Center for Advanced Research & Technology ('97 to present).
- Leon S. Peters Award ('96); Fresno Teachers Association "Friend of Education" award ('99).
Valerie F. Davis
- Ensure all students graduate with the skills necessary to begin productive careers or continue on to college.
- Seek outside resources to expand after-school academic enrichment and mentoring programs. Everyone benefits from strong community-school partnerships
- As a successful businessman, I'll draw on my real world experience to ensure that school dollars are utilized effectively.
Norman Lee Pimentel
- Occupation: Teacher/Parent
- Occupation: Special Education Teacher
- Former Special Education Teacher
- Founder of Save Our Schools
- Community Activist to Stamp Out Graffiti
- Graduated from Fresno State College
- Small Business Owner in the Fresno High District
- To be accountable to all people!
- To work to reduce crime and overcrowding in our high schools!
- To work to better maintain our schools!
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
TV Candidate Forums|
Channel 14 Sponsored by League of Women Voters of Fresno and AT&T
News and Analysis
- Tuesday, October 22, 3:30PM
- Saturday, October 26, 12:00PM
- Monday, November 4, 12:00PM
The Fresno Bee
Questions from The Fresno Bee
- 11/1/02 What do you hope will be the legacy left by your tenure on the board?
- 10/28/02 -Are you satisfied with the performance of the current superintendent and administration?
- 10/21/02 Are you satisfied with the district's ability to remove administrators and teachers who do not perform well?
- 10/16/02 Do you have any proposals to better utilize schools as "neighborhood centers"?
- 10/7/02 Do you have any plans or ideas to entice experienced teachers to stay at - or consider transferring to - low-performing schools?
- 10/3/02 What types of partnerships would you advocate to better connect the schools and the community?
- 9/30/02 What would you do to help improve the performance of students in a district such as Fresno Unified that has so many disadvantaged students?
- 9/30/02 What specific plans or programs would you recommend to help parents become more involved in Fresno Unified schools?
- Forward Fresno Foundation
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- Candidate Forum - Oct. 16, 7 p.m., at Hoover High School
sponsored by The Greater Fresno Chamber of Commerce and the Kenneth L. Maddy Institute, in partnership with The Broad Foundation.