(Vote for 2)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: incumbent City Councilmember
- Master's degree, City Planning, UC Berkeley
- Bachelor's degree, US History, UC Berkeley
- professional urban planner
- Alameda City Council, 1996 - 2002
- Alameda Vice Mayor, 1998-2000
- City of Alameda, "Complete Count" Census 2000 Co-Chair
- build on early successes in areas of traffic safety/transit planning
- continue to attract quality retailers similar to the recently-arrived Trader Joe's
- promote development at Alameda Point that is fiscally prudent, aesthetically-pleasing, job-creating and minimum traffic impacting
- Occupation: Compliance Officer for Chiron Corp. in Emeryville
- Alameda Planning Board Member
- Alameda Economic Development Commissioner
- Co-chair of the Library 2000 campaign to secure $10.6 million to build a new Main Library and improve and expand Alameda's two branch libraries
- Graduate of the University of California, Berkeley
- Married to wife Kris with two sons who are freshman at SF State and one son who is a student at St. Joseph's High School in Alameda
Jean S. Sweeney
- Reduce traffic congestion on our streets, bridges and in the tube
- Bring the City and school district together to improve our schools
- Rejuvinate Park Street, Webster Street and South Shore Center with an eye to bringing good job opportunities and quality retail shopping to Alameda
- Occupation: Retired Teacher
- Northern Waterfront Specific Plan Board Member
- Webster Street Renaissance Project Board Member
- Restoration Advisory Board for the Clean up of Alameda Point
- Restoration Advisory Board for the Clean up of the Catellus site.
- Rush hour traffic from planned development will exceed the capacity in our tubes and bridges.
- Alameda is woefully under retailed but we don't need a new big box shopping center.
- I support Measure A, it has saved us from over development and excess density.
- Occupation: Retired Government Executive
- Executive Management Department of Defense
- Traffic and Transportation Manager
- Logistics Manager and Analyst
- Deputy Safety and Security Chief
- Military Police Officer
- Alameda Planning Board Member
Susan Maureen McCormack
- Reasonable residential and commercial economic development
- Keeping taxes low.
- Assure that we have strong police and fire departments to give us safe neighborhoods and protect our quality of life
Thomas C. Pavletic
- Occupation: Community Business Owner
Betsy P. Elgar
- Occupation: Municipal Financial Analyst
- Occupation: Social Worker
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidates Answer Questions|
The the League of Women Voters of Alameda has asked
all candidates for this office to respond to
1 questions on the issues
News and Analysis
- City Council Candidates Forum
- October 3, 2002
7:00PM to 9:00PM
Doors open at 6:30PM
Mastick Senior Center
1155 Santa Clara
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.