This is an archive of a past election.
See for current information.
LWV League of Women Voters of Ohio
Smart Voter
Hamilton County, OH November 7, 2000 Election
Issue 26
Proposed Tax Levy
Township of Anderson Park District

12,788 / 57.69% Yes votes ...... 9,380 / 42.31% No votes

See Also: Index of all Issues

Information shown below:

An additional tax for the benefit of Anderson Township Park District, County of Hamilton, Ohio, for the purpose of DEFRAYING THE EXPENSES OF THE TOWNSHIP PARK DISTRICT AND PURCHASING, APPROPRIATING, OPERATING, MAINTAINING AND IMPROVING LANDS FOR PARKS AND RECREATIONAL PURPOSES, INCLUDING THE PAYMENT OF DEBT SERVICE ON BONDS ISSUED PURSUANT TO SECTION 511.29 OF THE OHIO REVISED CODE at a rate not exceeding one and nine-tenths (1.9) mills for each one dollar of valuation, which amounts to nineteen cents ($0.19) for each one hundred dollars of valuation, for ten (10) years, commencing in 2000, first due in calendar year 2001.

  Official Information

The proposed tax levy ballot language reads: "an additional tax..." instead of "replacement levy" because the current park levy is not in its final year of collection. The district's current levy is 1.9 mills and they are asking the voters to approve a new 1.9 mills. If passed, it will mean a slight increase in property taxes because we are now paying taxes based on the value of our homes in 1992 and the new levy will be based on the value of our property in the year 2000.

The 1992 levy brings in about $1,463,987 per year and will expire in 2002. The new levy will bring in about $1,827,762 per year (based on 2000 property values) until the year 2010. If the levy passes, the 1992 levy will not be collected in 2001 and beyond. The tax levy is about 62% of the Anderson Township park District's income. The other 38% comes from outside sources, such as donations and grants.

The monies will be spent on current operating expenses, community programming, and the development of Beech Acres Park and Wm McNeilan Johnson Hills Park. The current Anderson Park District budget is about $2.7 million per year with anticipated increases of $400,000 per year.
Nonpartisan Information

Ballot Language Definitions
Suggest a link related to Issue 26
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.

Hamilton Home Page || About Smart Voter || Feedback
Created: January 25, 2001 02:35
Smart Voter 2000 <>
Copyright © 2000 League of Women Voters of California Education Fund
The League of Women Voters neither supports nor opposes candidates for public office or political parties.