- Requires two-thirds vote of State Legislature, or either majority or two-thirds of local electorate, to impose
on any activity fees used to pay for monitoring, studying, or mitigating the environmental, societal or
economic effects of that activity when the fees impose no regulatory obligation upon the payor.
- Redefines such fees as taxes.
- Excludes certain real property related fees, assessments and development fees.
- Excludes damages, penalties, or expenses recoverable from a specific event.
- Does not apply to fees enacted before July 1, 1999, or increased fees due to inflation or greater workload,
- A YES vote of this measure means:
- Government actions to
establish certain regulatory
charges would require approval
by a greater number of
legislators or local voters.
- A NO vote of this measure means:
- Current laws and
regarding regulatory charges
would not be changed.
- Summary of Arguments FOR Proposition 37:
- The California Taxpayers
Association urges you to vote
Yes on Proposition 37 to stop
hidden taxes on food, gasoline,
utilities and other necessities.
Proposition 37 makes politicians
accountable to taxpayers by
requiring a vote of the people
or a 2/3 vote of the Legislature
to enact these hidden taxes.
Full Text of Argument In Favor,
- Summary of Arguments AGAINST Proposition 37:
- Proposition 37 protects polluters
and shifts their costs to taxpayers.
The oil and tobacco lobbies who
paid for Prop. 37 want you to
pay for the pollution and
sickness they cause. American
Cancer Society, League of Women
Voters, Sierra Club and California
Tax Reform Association say: No
Full Text of Argument Against,
- Contact FOR Proposition 37:
- Californians Against Hidden Taxes
591 Redwood Hwy., Suite 4000
Mill Valley, CA 94941
- Contact AGAINST Proposition 37:
- Doug Linney
Taxpayers Against Polluter Protection
1904 Franklin Street, Suite 909
Oakland, CA 94612
Secretary of State
California Budget Project
League of Women Voters
California Voter Foundation
News and Analysis
KPBS San Diego Public Broadcasting
San Francisco Chronicle
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.