(Vote for 2)
Click on a candidate name for more information.
- Occupation: Retired Lawyer/Educator
- I am married with a daughter in Laguna Middle School
- I have taught middle school, high school, law school, and post graduate education
- I have been a legal advisor to over 30 school districts
- Volunteered in Public schools and Planned Parenthood
- I have taught workshops to school board members on their responsibilities to the public
- I have served on Avila Valley Advisory Council and other non profit boards
- The board must be responsive to community priorities in making budget decisions.
- Class size reduction is a high priority, as well as competitive teacher salaries.
- We must provide educational options; one size does not fit all children.
- Occupation: Parent/Attorney/Educator
- Married with 2 children in district schools
- Eleven-year classroom and committee volunteer
- Only candidate who has attended Board meetings regularly over past 5 years
- Candidate most familiar with Board budget and district issues from volunteer committee work
- Self-Employed business attorney for twenty years
- Supports better parent access to Board, better listening to parents by Board members
- Supports increased vocational, technology, arts and physical education while insisting on high academic standards
- Encourages more serious attention to prevention of alcohol abuse at middle and high school levels
- Occupation: Writer/Editor/Tutor
- Tutor, English as a Second Language (ESL)
- President, Calif. State Poetry Society 1990-99
- School volunteer, esp. Poetry & Writing programs
- B.A. plus credits in writing & in radio production
- Managing Editor, California Quarterly, 1990-1999
- Census Enumerator, Census 2000
Jerry M. Dagna
- Utilize all community resources to aid students & teachers
- Develop & strengthen vocational programs for non-college students
- Assure safety of all, and institute violence prevention programs
- Occupation: Packaging Engineer
- Former school board member (SMBSD)
- Served on 3 non profit Boards of directors
- Single dad-10yrs
- 24 year Business career
- Involved in city & county politics for 8 years
- Corporate and small business consultant/trainer
- The board MUST be willing to debate openly any issue without bias
- Budget short falls must be better managed-Funding changes will come
- Art & vocational classes need to exspamded in our schools
- Occupation: Warehouse Specialist
- Resident of area for 12 years
- Have attended board meetings for 1-1/2 years
- Better Science Education
- Improving the Demeanor of the Board
- Involvment between parernts, teachers, and administation.
Basic candidate data supplied by the County elections official.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
News and Analysis
- School Board Candidates' Forums
- Wednesday October 11, 7:00 pm
C.L.Smith School Multi-Use Room,San Luis Obispo
Wednesday October 18, 7:00 pm
Morro Elementary Multi-Use Room
1130 Napa Ave., Morro Bay
- Televised Candidates' Forum
- Channel 61 shows Daily the SLCUSD Candidates' Forum at 8 am, 2 pm, 8 pm, and 2 am. Also see schedule for Channel 61 or Channel 6, call Charter at 1-800-640-6959 to ask for scheduled showings of videos made by Charter and the League of the October 11 Candidate's Forum and other voting topics.
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.