Unbiased Information Service for the Public
Smart Voter is one of the most comprehensive and reliable sources of unbiased information for voters on the Web. The service is made available to the public through partnerships with the League of Women Voters and election officials of various states and local communities around the U.S. Smart Voter's technology and central operations are managed by the League of Women Voters of California Education Fund, a non-partisan nonprofit organization.
- Provides voters with comprehensive nonpartisan information about the contests on their ballot in an easy-to-use presentation.
- Provides a means for candidates to publish information about themselves and their candidacy directly to voters.
About the Web site:
History of Smart Voter
Video: Why would you vote without Smart Voter?
The League of Women Voters
The League has two separate and distinct roles.
The League of Women Voters of California Education Fund, which conducts voter service and citizen education activities and also manages Smart Voter for various state and local League chapters in the U.S., is a 501(c)(3) corporation, a nonprofit educational organization. Donations made to this organization are tax deductible by law.
The League of Women Voters of California, a membership organization, conducts action and advocacy and is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation. This organization does not fund or in any way contribute to Smart Voter.
The League of Women Voters of California Education Fund:
- Builds citizen participation in the democratic process
- Studies key community issues at all government levels in an unbiased manner
- Enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.