(Vote for 3)
Click on a candidate name for more information.
- Occupation: Incumbent/Business Executive
- 35 year resident of Los Altos
- MS Degree in Civil Engineering
- Successful business executive
- Los Altos City Council since 1995
- Los Altos Mayor 1999
Francis Albert La Poll
- Maintain balanced budget and replenish our emergency reserves.
- Improve public safety, including speed enforcement in residential areas.
- Clarify and improve building design guidelines.
- Occupation: Incumbent. Partner, Gilfix & La Poll Assoc. (tax & elderlaw)
- Stanford Law School: J.D. 1984; University of Virginia: B.A. Economics (magna cum laude) 1981
- Editor-in-Chief, Stanford Journal of International Law: 1983-84
- Mayor: 1996-97; Mayor Pro Tem: 1995-96; Councilmember: 1995-present. Homeowner since 1987.
- Board Member, Santa Clara County Valley Transportation Authority
- Vice Chair, YMCA of the Midpeninsula Board of Directors
- Led effort to acquire Rosita Park & multipurpose hall, then add soccer fields/ball diamond. School-City liaison committee; Coach: Little League & AYSO
- As the only council member or candidate with children in local schools, I provide a voice for Los Altos families.
- Preserve desirable neighborhood residential character and retain current density: Critical general plan and housing element updates are soon due.
- Traffic safety; recreational facilities/open space; outside audits/city financial independence; city-school cooperation; underground utilities; ADA.
- Occupation: Business Owner
- BS degree in Social Work
- Santa Clara County Library Joint Powers Authority, Member
- Santa Clara County Housing & Community Development, Member
- Community Health Awareness Council (CHAC), Member
- Challenge Team, Member
Noah D. Mesel
- Working with youth programs promoting physical and mental health.
- Revising the Residential Design Guidelines as well as Downtown Use & Design.
- Keeping Los Altos safe by adequately funding police and emergency services
- Occupation: Corporate Attorney, Lucent Technologies Inc. 1998-present
- Area Resident 17 years; Los Altos homeowner since 1998
- Attorney, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati 1989-98
- Member, House of Delegates of the American Bar Association 1988-89
- Juris Doctor, University of Virginia School of Law 1989
- Lobbyist for California cities and community real estate developers 1986
- Legislative Aide and Legislative Director, U.S. Rep. Ron Packard 1983-86
- Protect and promote neighborhood and homeowners' rights
- Establish better traffic management and better downtown parking
- Promote compatible economic growth and appointment of Economic Development Coordinator
Basic candidate data supplied by the County elections official. Any additional information supplied by the candidate.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidates Answer Questions|
The League of Women Voters of the Los Altos - Mountain View
Area has asked
all candidates for this office to respond to
4 questions on the utility tax, housing development, affordable housing, and future plans.
News and Analysis
Los Altos Town Crier
Palo Alto Daily News
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
- Wednesday, Oct 27, 1999
7:00 to 8:30pm
Los Altos City Council Chambers
1 N. San Antonio Road, Los Altos