- Occupation: Associate Justice Cal. Supreme Ct.
- Ph.B. University of Chicago; law schools, University of Chicago and J.D. Southwestern University (Los Angeles); The Hague Academy of International Law
- US Army; practicing lawyer; University of California Board of Regents
- Trial Judge; Elected and re-elected Attorney General, California's Chief Law Enforcement Official; Cal. Judicial Council; Justice, Cal. Supreme Court
- Honorary LLD. degrees from various universities; Declared "one of the finest constitutional lawyers in the U.S." (Sen. Sam Ervin)
- Endorsed by Democrats, Republicans, District Attorneys, Labor and many other organizations.
- For each year in the last decade (and this year)has authored more opinions than any other Supreme Court Justice